Wireless Networking Problemo

Hi,

Right now I am in Barcelona, Spain. I live in a place where two apartments are joined together. It is in the gothic quarter of the city and the walls are typically thick here.

My neighbours have a proprietary wirelss router from Telefonica. It also serves up their cable. They want to share the wireless for me but it appears my side of the apartment is some sort of nether region where the signal doesn't not go. Running an thernet cable is not feasable.

I thought about getting a repeater but telefonica claims you need their repeater and in some cases with repeaters you have to go with the same brand as the router.

I was wondering if the following would be successful. Run some ethernet cable from the router to part way towards my space (thats allowed).

On the other end of the ethernet cable I propose putting a Linksys Access Point. The linksys access point can then serve another wireless signal and obtain its IP from the telefonica router.

Is this possible?

Please let me know.

Cheers,

Bert

Reply to
dab722
Loading thread data ...

That should work. I have a netgear wireless router near my cable modem, and then an ethernet cable to a Linksys AP on the other side of our house.

They are on different channels, and have different SSIDs, and I use whichever one has the stronger signal depending on where I am.

Reply to
Doug Anderson

Do I require a crossover cable to do this?

Reply to
dab722

No. A regular cable between a LAN port on the telefonica and a LAN port on the Linksys. And you'll need to turn off DHCP on the linksys so that you don't have two different DHCP servers on the same network.

And if I were you, I would give the linksys a static IP address (on the correct subnet of course) outside of the range that the telefonica is serving up as DHCP addresses. When you do configuration, life is easier if you know what the IP address is of the device you are configuring!

Reply to
Doug Anderson

Why not? You can pout it on another SSID and channel and go on about your business.

You can also do this too and the router is cheaper.

formatting link
two WRT54G routers together.asp

This above is what is in the link below.

formatting link
You supplant router 1 with your other router. The principle is the same when connecting two routers and one is converted to a wire/wireless AP switch.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"They want to share the wireless for me" don't you just love it............

reworded this means, I want to share their wireless with me

Reply to
Ted

No you would use a regular cable.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Do you share a common AC power line? See:

formatting link
uses the power lines to bridge an 802.11g wireless connection. I have no clue if this will work with Telefonica.

This is basically correct. What this really means is that the chipset used in the router must be the same as the chipset used in the repeater and client radios. The most common chipsets that can act as a repeater are made by Broadcom. If you could look inside the Telefonica wireless box and extract the main chip numbers, it might be possible to produce a guess as to compatible hardware.

Yes. The access point is a bridge and acts just like an extension cord for the ethernet. Use a different channel number and SSID so that your client radio and the Telefonica wireless do not interfere with each other.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Ted" < | | "They want to share the wireless for me" don't you just love it............ | | reworded this means, I want to share their wireless with me |

yea I have a few Japanese friends that think I'm a born comedian when I get few under the belt and apply English grammar to Japanese which then becomes Jinglish.

Reply to
NotMe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.