Wireless Networking Issue

Hi Folks,

I am looking for any assistance with the following problem.

I have a Toshiba Laptop, Centrino, think its the M60 although not 100%, and it has an Intel 2200BG wireless card built in. The system is using Windows XP, SP 2.

I have recently moved house, and was promised free internet by the landlord, via his wireless router.

When I search for the router, I can see it fine. He gave me a WEP key, and when I tried it, it said connected with Limited or No Connectivity. I tried to repair and nothing happened. I disabled my Firewall and nothing happened. I then tried a different WEP code, which was completely wrong, and I received the same outcome.

I guessed at this point that the WEP key was causing havoc, so the landlord disabled the WEP key, and I tried to connect to the Unsecured network. This caused the same outcome.

After some research on the net, I discovered that the router wasnt assigning an appropriate IP address.

I changed the TCP/IP settings from obtain automatic to the following:

IP: 192.168.1.37

DNS: 195.170.0.1 DNS2: 195.170.2.2

The DNS settings are those provided by the ISP , Otenet, over here in Greece.

It then said I was connected, with Excellent signal, and would send packets, but absolutely nothing being received.

I have connected to other Otenet wireless points here with absolutely no problem. The landlord said that a couple of others have had the same problem, yet 2 guys upstairs, plus the landlord and his son, can connect to the network fine - 3 of them wirelessly.

Is there something I should be doing here, and I am missing? I dont believe its a card problem, as I have used the card several times in recent weeks on different networks, and had no problems. And the fact that other people have had similar problems, coupled with the fact that others have had no problems, is leaving me absolutely stumped... can only assume its a settings problem?

Thanks in advance,

Kris

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Dandy_Don
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
TeddyBare

What router is your landlord using?

Forget your ISP settings as you are using the Landlord's ISP. It is the only ISP that the router is connecting to. You will connect to your ISP from the internet side for e-mail.

Find the make and model of your Landlord's router, then go online to the maker's website and download the manual for your Landlord's router. This will give you information on the router's setup.

Do not try to use an assigned IP address if your Landlord has enabled DHCP on the router. If the Landlord has not enabled DHCP, then he will have to assign a static IP for each computer on the router's network. Also if DHCP is enabled it must have a spreed of addresses that will equal the number of computers aloud to connect to his router. This must include any print servers on the network, but printers are best connected to the computer and not a print server as a print server's IP will change and your computer looks for the printer at a set IP.

If your using a Firewall, you must put the router's network in the trusted or aloud networks.

Reply to
TeddyBare

what IP address did you see when you had "limited" access - was it

169.xxx.xxx.xxx ?

find out what IP addresses are being used or assigned to the other folks, and if they are using DHCP, or static addresses ? IP address ? Gateway address ? DNS address ?

Reply to
P.Schuman

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 09:32:51 -0500, Dandy_Don wrote in :

WEP is too insecure to be of any real value. See if your landlord will switch to WPA. If so, hardware reset the router and start over from the beginning.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.