Wireless network with RADIUS server

Hi, I'm trying to configure a wireless secured network and I would like to connect 2 Access Points to a VPN firewall that makes VPN connections with wireless clients. The VPN firewall limits the wireless network that I want to connecto to a LAN, in the other side of the firewall. I'm thinking that the best way to authenticate the clients is with a RADIUS server but I've not configured never one. I've found some VPN firewalls that come with a RADIUS server incorporated. Must I use this solution or is better to configure a RADIUS server on a Windows 2003 Server Machine in the LAN side ? Thanks

Reply to
fonaruin
Loading thread data ...

"fonaruin" hath wroth:

The big advantage of WPA-RADIUS authentication is that wireless encryption keys are issued by the RADIUS server and are unique to each connection and session. That eliminates distributing a shared key to all users, which might easily be compromised.

Obviously, LAN based RADIUS security is better than WAN (internet) based security because you have control of everything involved. There are 802.1x authentication services available for the WAN side if you don't want to build your own RADIUS server. |

formatting link
|
formatting link
On the LAN side, you mumble something about a VPN firewall with a built in RADIUS server. No clue what you're considering so I can't comment.

The Windoze 2003 IAS RADIUS server is probably the easiest choice: |

formatting link
|
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thank you for your fast anwer. I'm studying the Windows 2003 IAS Radius Server.

I've found some products like ZyXel ZyAIR G-2000 Plus that comes with a build-in RADIUS server.

formatting link
This product works like an Access Point and it has a firewall with it. The problem in my network is that I want to put more than one Access Point to extend the wireless area. I think that I might separate the firewall from the access points and it will be easyest to mantain. Thank you very much

Reply to
fonaruin

Hi! I've been studying Windows 2003 IAS RADIUS Server to configure the service but I'm not sure that it will be a good solution for a Wireless LAN where my clients can be PDAs. Does anybody know if I can use this RADIUS Server (or another) with a network where wireless clients can be using Palm OS or Windows Mobile (Windows CE)? Thank you

Reply to
fonaruin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.