Wireless network with a T1 access point

My wireless network has been unusually slow and I have tried several remedies but nothing has worked. I was told that it might be because my connection is from a T1 line. So here is how it's set up.

It is a high-rise apartment building that already has the ethernet port on the wall that is fed by a T1 line. I can only assume is being shared by others in the building (so I am assuming that the building already has all of the necessary T1 router equipment wired into the network). I currently just have a standard D-link wireless router that is connected directly to the wall.

If I connect directly to the wall with the computer I get very good speeds but the connection creeps when I connect through the wireless router. Would there by any other hardware that I would need to have to create the optimal wireless network or could it just be the router that I have?

Reply to
piwkokei
Loading thread data ...

Are you paying for a full T1 to your apartment/condo. We need to identify if you do have a full T1 to your apartment, or if the building shares the T1 among all the residents.

What is this speed, can you hook your computer directly to the wall connection and see what your computer says you connect at. I think that your entire apartment building has a built in lan, and that lan connects to the telco via a T1. So depending on how many people are using it at the same time, yes you will see a slow down. But that is not what I think is causing your wireless link to be even slower.

You would not need any other hardware, except maybe a different wireless router. But before we go there, what is the model of the router. and where is the router in relation to the computer that is using it. I.E. is the router in a back room and your computer is in the front room.

>
Reply to
Dana

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

If you can get good performance by bypassing the router and going directly to the ethernet connection wall plug, you can safely assume that there's nothing broken on the T1 or apartment house network end.

What's not clear is what model Dlink wireless router you're using? If it really is a wireless router, you should be able to plug the computah into one of the 4 LAN ports on the back of the router. That will test the router section.

The a direct connection to the Dlink wireless router works, then there's something wrong with the wireless. I can't tell from your description what that might be. It could be RF interference from many possible sources, driver issues on the client end, ancient firmware in your DLink, etc. How about some numbers instead of generalizations. Find an online speed test and disclose the numbers.

No clue. Other than a "Dlink wireless router" I have no clue what you actually have to work with.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.