Wireless network odd issue (2 laptops set the same, only 1 works)

Ok, first, the setup...I realize this is a disertation, but I put every detail I could think of to hopefully make this easier to figure out.

Comcast Internet, coming into and out of a Linksys Cable Modem, shared via LAN patch cable into a Linksys Wireless-G Router.

One desktop running WIN XP SP1 plugged into the router with Ethernet - works flawlessly. One laptop running WIN XP SP2 on the wireless, works flawlessly.

Both computer have manually set IP addresses, gateways and DNS settings, pulled from the router and obviously correct since they both work. The two computers are able to share files and printers as well. The wireless is encrypted with WPA-PSK.

Now, I have tried to add another laptop (WIN XP SP2) to the network and have not succeeded. I am able to see the network in the wireless connections, and I can connect to it by putting in the encryption key.

However, I also have to set the IP address, gateway and DNS settings manually as well before it will completely connect (otherwise, it simply sits at 'acquiring network address.')

Once it is connected, the fun really begins. The wireless proclaims that it is connected ?Excellent,? however, I opened a command prompt and tried to ping the router and the other two computers, and I cannot hit either of them. The prompt declares that the request times out. If I do not set the IP address manually and try to let it pull down the IP automatically, it says host unreachable instead.

Neither of the other computers can ping the new laptop. I tried releasing and renewing the IP with no luck. I ran an ipconfig /all and the settings are identical between the two laptops, except I put one?s IP address as 192.168.1.102 and the other as 192.168.1.103.

I made sure that the new laptop is accessing the same type of wireless encryption as the network, and everything is wireless G. Also, there are no firewalls of any kind running anywhere.

This has me insanely frustrated because the two laptops are set up exactly the same through every network and wireless setting I can think of, and yet the new one simply says it?s connected but will not access any network resources.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Viper29
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.