Wireless Network. Help Help Help.

The B stuff is getting scarce. It's a better price if 11mbs is enough for you. I find it adaquate. G is the way to go if starting out though.

Reply to
Rodney Kelp
Loading thread data ...

You will need to replace the SpeedTouch USB modem with an ethernet modem. If this is unacceptable, there are ugly alternatives:

1. You can use your PC as a bridge between USB and ethernet using ICS or simple bridging.
  2. There are a few routers that accept a limited selection of USB modems instead of ethernet on the WAN port. No experience with these.

The minimum equipment would be:

1. A new ethernet modem to replace the USB modem.
  2. A wireless router -or- an ethernet router plus a wireless access point (WAP).

The speed difference between 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11g proprietary enhancements, will not be visible to the typical broadband user. Your speed will be limited by the speed of your broadband connection. If you're running less than 5mbits/sec download speed on your broadband connection, 802.11b will probably work just fine. However 802.11b has a maximum TCP thruput of 5.9Mbits/sec (UDP is 7.1). At faster than 5 or 6Mbits/sec, 802.11b will become a bottleneck.

802.11g also has the advantage of using better chipsets and generally improved technology. I won't claim that ALL 802.11g radios are better than the equivalent 802.11b devices because many of the transitional boards are identical differing only in firmware. In general, the 802.11g devices have somewhat better range, and the OFDM modulation is less susceptible to multipath and reflections.

The danger comes with a mixed 802.11b and 802.11g system. 802.11g is designed to slow down when it hears any 802.11b packets. The result is that the thruput suffers. This is not always the case as there are current designs that don't slow down as much, but it's still a problem. If performance is an issue, or may become an issue in the future, I would go with an all 802.11g system. Otherwise, 802.11b or a mixed system will suffice.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hello,

I wish to set up a wireless network to share my BT broadband at home with 2 PC's. The PC with broadband at the moment has a speedtouch USB modem with BT broadband. It must be a wireless system I have, what is the minimum equipment I can get away with, not a heavy user so can I go for the B stuff or should I go for G or super G, do I need a modem router or can I connect a router to my present modem?

Thank you

Reply to
Mark Wilkins

A question first.

I assume that the USB modem is directly plugged into your computer? If so you need to determine if the modem has a wireless card built in or can accept one. I'm not familiar with the model you have named so I will assume it does not have this capability. However the modem should have an RJ45 connector. This is to plug in Category 5 Network cable, the same stuff you would see in a networked office or factory.

If you have that then you are good to go. You will need a router. A router will allow you to assign IP addresses for each system you put on your network.

Almost all wireless access points include a router. Then you will need wireless cards for each system you want to connect to. If you are not going to be doing a lot of file transfers then the B channel systems will be adequate. You can go with G channel systems as well. They are compatible with the B channel cards and are also a bit faster.

I personally prefer Netgear systems, but Linksys is good as is Dlink. Shop around for the best prices. I would also use the same brand for all parts of your network. (Personal preference here) These days the systems will work right out of the box. Plug everything in, turn it on and it should work. This will also allow any of your neighbors who are in range to access your network as well.

If you go the wireless route LOCK DOWN YOUR SYSTEM! Change all the default passwords and look into using either WEP or WPA encryption. (Whichever is suppported by the equipment you purchase)

Use Google to do some research into wireless networking. There are a number of sites available.

Hope this all helps.

-- Ned

Reply to
Ned Brickley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.