Wireless Network Help

Installed new NetGear WPNT834 Wireless Router. Have a Win2K Pro Laptop and Win 98se Desktop machines connected via Ethernet cables. Both machines can see and access Shares on either machine perfectly via Ethernet.

When I take the Laptop Wireless, neither machine can see the other one or access Shares. Both machines however pass the Ping test in both directions and both machines can access the Internet perfectly.

I am out of ideas after two days of reading and trying...can anyone please point me in the correct direction that will allow these machines to Network when the Laptop is wireless? TIA!

Reply to
TJ
Loading thread data ...

"MilesG" hath wroth:

Networking between Windoze 98 and XP.

formatting link
between Windoze 98 and W2K
formatting link
initial part shows how to set fixed IP addresses for the clients. This is un-necessary as the DHCP server in the router should supply the necessary IP addresses. Start at Step 2.

The usual causes of good connectivity, but no networking is:

1. Personal firewalls. Some are difficult to disable and configure.
  2. Windoze File Sharing is NOT enabled. Enable it.
  3. Linksys "AP Protection" is enabled in the router. Turn it off.
  4. Crappy CAT5 cables. Enough to ping but big errors on larger packets.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I am in an identical situation - could have written that myself TJ, except I have 2 systems running XP Home and one 98SE, and have been scratching my head over this for about 2 weeks! I used to use a crossover RJ45 cable to mutually back up files and the lads would playa LAN game. I just found

formatting link
might help you. I haven't had chance to work on any advice offered there yet. If I solve the problem I'll post here. Have you made any progress? Miles

Reply to
MilesG

Oops, sorry TJ that link is for XP. Don't know about 98SE and 2K. Miles

Reply to
MilesG

Most of the time I come across a situation like this it comes down to a software firewall or file & print sharing not enabled on the wireless adapter. Sometimes the firewall isn't real obvious for example internet worm protection that comes with Norton AV. But I suspect after 2 days of trying you have been through all of that.

I'm not familiar with that router, but routers sometimes have a feature where wireless clients are blocked from accessing other computers on the network.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Thank you Jeff. Miles

Reply to
MilesG

I run ZoneAlarm on all of my computers along with my Laptop (WINME) and add the routers to my firewall trusted zone on each computer. Also I sometimes add each of my computers to that firewall trusted zone too. Works for me with my D-Link 524 at home or at my work location with a SMC wireless router. I am thinking that some wireless routers adds a bit more protection when a wireless computer comes onto the LAN section. My computers are running WIN98SE, XPhome or pro, and WINME. I think I have even used my old laptop wired to the router and it runs win95, but I have not connected up to the D-Link 524 but have to a Speedstream 5861. 8^o

good luck, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
One out of many daves

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.