Wireless network goes missing

I have a wireless router by D-Link and it is sitting less than 25 feet from my laptop. For some reason, at random times, it cannot be seen by the laptop's hardware/software. Does anyone know what can be causing this? A friend suggested that maybe a neighbour is using a cordless phone that uses the same frequency and that is causing trouble. I live in a condo so there are many people relatively close. Anyone know if this makes sense or has any other ideas?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
tim
Loading thread data ...

I use a cable when it goes dead, if I'm too impatient to wait 20 minutes.

Reply to
tim

Well, not only that interference, but a neighbor could have a wireless router that is broadcasting on the same channel as your router. Change your routers chanel to 1 or 11, since these have the less overlaping freq, and see if that helps. Also make sure your routers firmware is up to date.

Robert.....

Reply to
DLink Guru

Cordless phones, baby listeners, microwave ovens, a whole host of things can interfere unfortunately.

Another is someone else's wireless network. Try using something like netstumbler to see what else is out htere, and incidentally what your own does during 'blackouts'.

Also check whether its actually a wireless problem or whether the router is playing up - connect via a wired link for a bit.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.