Wireless network extender

I'm trying to help a friend that has a D-Link DI-624 (rev C) wireless router and an old house with metal lathe in the plaster walls. Signal strength diminishes quickly through the walls.

I noticed D-Link has a DWL-G800AP Wireless Range Extender that claims to be compatible with the DI-624. However, D-Link has recently end-of-life'd this product. I didn't notice a replacement or upgraded version.

Also, comments on these groups talk about problems with and the lack of effectiveness of the DWL-G800AP.

1) Do wireless extender products in general effectively extend the wireless network range within a house?

2) Is this particular D-Link product any good?

3) Can you recommend a proven solution?

Thanks in advance.

- Tired Techie -

Reply to
Tired Techie
Loading thread data ...

Been there, done that. Couldnt get anything at all to happen because what you may not also realise is that the signal going OUT of the NIC bounces back at it from a few different directions causing a standing wave ratio imbalance of sorts.

Only thing I could do to get it reliable was to drill through the wall, place a hub on the side with the computer and connect it to a wireless router on the other side which worked with network and internet down the other side of the office. There are probably other answers but this was needed to be done quickly and was the only quick answer there was.

Range extenders are meant to send the signal a greater distance and though that means it has more penetration in your case, it also means that you get more signal reflection. I have no idea whether, in your case, they would help, sorry, but it definitely means that your wireless devices burn out more quickly.

Reply to
Diamontina Cocktail

Same problem (older house, lathe/plaster, metal beams, and outside brick), went with netgear powerline networking ($99 for 2 of the 54mbs models..

formatting link
) and just have a second access point at the other part of the house.. Have two more ap's and more of the powerline things for use in the poolhouse, garage/workshop (depending on the weather, no fun outside in the winter).. Just do multiple devices (no dhcp server, same ssid, different channel, and just plug em in whereever you have electricity and need more signal).. They also make powerline access points (same page, click on the device to see the details, haven't tried them tho so I can't say if they are any good or not)

Reply to
Peter Pan

I sell a product, the Signal Seeker, which can shoot long distances, and throughobjects that are often tough to shoot through.

May be worth a look:

formatting link
Chris

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Christopher M. Hutchison, CEO NetSteady Communications, Ltd.

Phone: 614-255-5575 Mobile: 614-853-0091 Skype: wifi_chris

formatting link

Reply to
NetSteady

Hi Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific Environment. In most cases, there is No Magic Hardware that can solve Distance issues. Look at these pages they describe most of the options that are within the means of Entry Level users, and choose the one that fits you environment best. Extending the Distance of Entry Level Wireless Network -

formatting link
Bridging Home/SOHO Network -
formatting link
Gain Antenna for Entry Level Wireless -
formatting link
most common solutions used in a Professional Environment involves the use of multiple units (Access Point) connected with wire to the Network, or setting a WDS Network. To ensure proper work of WDS the communicating Wireless units should be of the same manufacturer,
formatting link
(MVP-Networking).

Reply to
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Why not contact dlinnk tech support. They assist me when I needed to boost my signal. I would ask them what extender to use with the di 624. If you need to find a DWL-G800AP, check with

formatting link
there are four list currently or check the net.

gene

Reply to
Eugene J. Maes

I think the Netgear Powerline might be the best solution for me. They have two models that seems appropriate - the XE103 and XE104. The XE104 has four network ports on the box and the XE103 has only one.

For my needs, the XE103 would do the trick as I'm trying to get the signal to the other side of the house for a single computer. However, if I ever need to add another computer, does the XE103 work with a configuration of three XE103's?

The XE104 man page says they support up to four XE104's and the XE103 is silent on this. I called Netgear and the person on the phone was useless.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

- Tired Techie -

PS. Thanks to Peter Pan for pointing me in this direction.

Reply to
Tired Techie

Can't say for sure on that one, but I have 4 XE102's (and 2 XE104's)... They coexist fine... They basically use home networking, and you have to name the network you want to use (like an ssid, i have one named PP-102 and another named PP-104).... From the docs (and testing) they can coexist just fine, however they use different passwords/encoding and trying to mix them (IE the

104 talking to the 102's and reverse), didn't work, so I just have two different powerline devices hooked to my wap/router and can connect to either from wherever...

one other device you may want to look at is their wireless access point

formatting link
Plug one into the router and wall, then wherever you want to expand wireless coverage, just plug another in (pretty cool, using one now, does cost about $50 more tho)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.