Wireless network conflicts-no channel overlap

Hello,

I am having a problem with wireless networking. Two laptops have

802.11g network cards (one is a Broadcom built-in adapter), the other has a Linksys-G 802.11g network card. The linksys doesn't have any option to select the channel in the properties, or at least any option that I see. There is no access point used. They are set to work in more or less an "ad-hoc" network. And it works quite well.

The problem that comes into play is when the two laptops are used at a specific location (a physician's office). There are two other networks present, one is on channel 1 the other on channel 6. Our network favors channel 11. The connectivity is sketchy at best when it is used at this location. We cannot ask the physicans/employees to turn off or alter their network.

Is there anything we can do to make the wireless connection more stable? Since the networks are on different SSIDs and channels, they shouldn't interfere right? But they are. Is there another channel that tends not to cause interference with channels 1 and 6?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike McWhinney

Reply to
eljainc
Loading thread data ...

First, the channel is set by the wireless access point or router. The channel should not be set in the receiving wireless card; to do so defeats the ability to connect to a desired network as you are finding. Use Wireless Zero Configuration, disable any proprietary connection utility for the wireless cards.

Reply to
Quaoar

He said:-

"There is no access point used. They are set to work in more or less an "ad-hoc" network. And it works quite well."

I'm wondering if there's another network on channel 11 with broadcast SSID disabled. A prime example of this pointless attempt at believing it increases security but in reality just screws people up.

Of course it could be something completely different :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.