Wireless Network - Cant Print..

About a year ago i bought a WRT54GS wireless router for my pc.....this installed absolutely fine and my 2 kids are able to get great internet access from anywhere in the house using their laptops.

Great stuff so far.............. .....i was given a Wireless G USB Network Adapter as a freebie with the above purchase.

Im under the impression that this is what i need for the laptops to print stuff using the printer attached to my main pc. I have googled for info but just cannot crack it....It all sounds so simple but when i try anything, nothing works.

I made sure printer was set for sharing.....then the laptops pick up the signal but i cannot get them to send something for printing...... I installed the printer cd on the laptops....not sure if this was right cos it seems to assume that the printer is on LPT1: how do i alter this.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Dave :)

Reply to
DB
Loading thread data ...

Assuming you're running Win2K or WinXP. If you're on Vista, you'll have to stumble through that nightmare OS yourself...

Start, control panel, printers & faxes.

DELETE any existing reference to your printer

"Add Printer" "Network printer" "Browse for a printer"

you should get a list of available printers. If your printer isn't there, you haven't configured the desktop right.

Check the firewalls on both the lappy and desktop are set to allow MS File & Print Sharing through. To test this, turn the firewalls off - did the printer appear in the list on the laptop? If so, check the f/w settings. Hopefully you know how to configure them.

Next: did you enable printer sharing on the desktop, AND share the printer out? Right-click on the printer, Select Sharing... and make sure its set up. If the sharing option is greyed out, you probably don't havea the service installed or running. right-click on your network card in Control-panel, Networks... and ensure that File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Netowkrs is enabled.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

What operating systems are running on the main PC and the 2 laptops? John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

Hi....

Both are running windows XP.........

The printer is set for sharing on the main pc........does this mean anything..the printer is attached via USB to main pc...

I ask the Laptops to look for a printer and nothing returns,,,,the wireless connection strength is excellent but it can find the printer. Am I misssing something basic ?

Does wireless on a laptop mean "receive" only ?

Thanks again

Reply to
DB

Have you looked at the things Mark M. asked you about in his message on Tuesday evening? John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

I did try but i still cant suss it.....

One thing...do i need to use the USB Network adapter as the lappys have both got wireless cards in them ?

Cheers

Reply to
DB

Did try what? Please keep some context with your messages. It might be ok to snip everything in a personal letter, but in busy technical groups, you cant expect people to keep all the conversations in their heads.

If they already have wireless cards, and the cards work, then get rid of the dongle.

But first, please try printing when the laptops arae connected via WIRED connections. If that doesn't work either, your problem has nothing to do with wireless.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

If the laptop ALREADY have wireless why would they need to add something else?

If you have the printer attached to the PC then setting it up as shared should be sufficient.

There are any number of networking issues that could be interferring. Least of which being WORKGROUP settings on the PCs. They should all be set the same.

But try this first, get the IP address of the PC that has the printer attached. The simplest way to do this is 'Start->Run->cmd' and then use the command line 'ipconfig' This will run the ipconfig program in a command shell. This will show you the PC's current IP address. You can use the command 'ipconfig /all' to get greater detail if needed.

Then take that IP address to the laptops and use this 'Start->Run->\\1.2.3.4' where 1.2.3.4 is replaced with the IP address of the PC, discovered using ipconfig. This should pop open a file explorer window on the laptop. There should be printers listed in that window. You should be able to right-click on them and 'Connect' the laptop to that printer.

It's OK to have installed the printer software on the laptops (well, usually it's OK). But you'll probably want to open the Printer control panel on the laptops and just delete any printer reference the installer created. The driver can be on on the disk without one being set up. It may help in dealing with the sharing later. Otherwise the 'Connect' command suggested above would attempt to copy it from the source PC sharing it out.

Try the \\a.b.c.d viewing and report back if that works.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Thanks everyone for the help......im still not there but will list all my settings so that it might point to something wrong....

I still cant get the printer to be detected on the laptops........

All it shows is MSHOME....but no epson printer.

Dave :(

Reply to
DB

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.