Wireless Network/Broadband

"John.N." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk:

You need one wire/wireless Access Point router.

formatting link
There are other home networking topics at the top of the link.

You need 1 wireless card. You should leave one machine with a wire connection connected to the router.

You should buy a UPS/AVR system to protect your investment. The router likes good clean and constant power and doesn't like power spikes or drainage on the line from household appliances switching on and off all the time and will go defective if it happens on a routine basis. Belkin makes good ones.

formatting link
The above is what is in the link below.

You may want to look into a print server that plugs into one of the router's LAN ports and wire or wireless machines can print to the network printer.

formatting link

They have setup and install wizards now, user manuals and Tech Support for the router and the wireless card, even the print server.

formatting link

*Learning Center*
formatting link
You should get a router that has logging so that you can watch inbound and outbound traffic to the router with a tool such as Wallwatcher.

formatting link
formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold
Loading thread data ...

NG,

As a 'newbie' can you advise on what equipment I would require to set up a wireless network with broadband connection to be shared along with my printer

I have at present two stand alone pc's, with Windows xp and Windows 98SE plus a printer and a broadband connection .

What do I need for each computer, what do I need stand alone (I've heard a router? is required?)

How do I install such a system?

Is there info on the internet I can refer to?

Thank you, John

Reply to
John.N.

My wireless system (1 desktop and 2 notebooks) is 100% wireless with no hard cables to the router.

My printers are plugged in the main desktop machine, both notebooks print through it............though this system the desktop printer must be switched on.

Files can be shared between all computers. This is rather slow I also have a USB data link between the main desktop and one notebook.

Pretty much all the set-up for wireless settings and files sharing was carried out using the XP network help system.

I would advise buying fitting all the same make equipment.

dj

Reply to
Ted

If you're going to be out here in NG(s) giving advice, then you should use a NG reader like Xnews (free) that does proper bottom posting, which OE cannot do. That way, I or others will not view your reply as being a reply to one's reply (Xnews sounding off) when in fact you're replying to another poster.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.