wireless network bridge, router, xp and linux query

Hello all, not another newbie I hear you ask yourselves, yes afraid so I reply, one with a bit of a problem and I was reccomended to ask here so here goes...

I am looking to add a linux sat receiver to my current wireless network at home.

The sat receiver is a TM-9100 and it has the ability to change IP address to whatever you want/ need.

Basically I want to connect a gaming adaptor with a short ethernet cable to the TM-9100 so I can access the hard drive on the 9100 via my wireless network, there is one ethernet connection on the 9100.

Yesterday I aquired a Belkin Wireless G Gaming Adapter F5D7330UK, my router is a Linksys WAG300N with 3 laptops connected via wireless. The IP of the router is 192.168.1.1, the laptops are set at 192.168.1.51,

192.168.1.52 and 192.168.1.53 and are all running Windows XP home.

The Gaming adaptor has a 'out of the box IP' 192.168.2.225. I did change the IP of the gaming adaptor to 192.168.1.100 in the beginning, but it still would not work.

I tried channels 8, 10 and 11 at various times, I made sure all the wireless units were on the same channel each time.

I previously had my 9100 connected via a crossover cable direct to laptop with IP 192.168.1.51 and it connected to the internet no problem.

Now my dilema, I want to connect the gaming adaptor to my 9100 with a short cable, but, when I was trying it out last night I could only connect to either the router or the adaptor, but not both together.

I did try changing the ip address of the adaptor and 9100 but it didn't work, at least I couldn't get it to work.

Does the adaptor need to be a different IP to the 9100 or the same? I tried both and I couldn't get either one working. Initially I set the IP on my 9100 to 192.168.1.10 (as suggested in the guide foe ease of remembering) but have since changed it to various address's without success.

For obvious reasons I want to keep the IP of my router and laptop as they are now, so does anyone know what I should set the 9100 and gaming adaptor IP's to?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
towsertowser
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.