Wireless network

What happens when you fold the dipole on the downstairs pc into the horizontal position?

Does signal strength improve?

Reply to
me here
Loading thread data ...

I am trying to install wireless network in the house.

I bought D-Link router DI-614 and installed it on the main computer (2nd floor). For the another desktop computer on the floor below I bought another D-Link network adapter card (I don't know exactly which one right now, but not the cheapest). That desktop computer is showing me permanently "low signal" message, and even looses connection many time per day. When I put laptop beside it, laptop shows signal excellent, and can catch even two another wireless networks in the neighbourhood (desktop computer doesn't see those at all). I could use laptop even in the basement.

What does this mean? I am assuming router is OK, because it has no problems to communicate with the laptop. Is this the problem with wireless network adapter and I should go and exchange it for another (same type)? Or could it be incompatible with the router, even though they are both D-Link and 54 MBbps?

Or could this be fixed by some kind of receiving antenna and/or amplifier?

Thank you,

Lester

Reply to
Lester

Lester could do the same for the router.

Reply to
Curly Bill

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (known to some as Lester) scribed...

I've had horrible luck with all the D-Link products I've tried to date. Netgear as well, though not as bad. I finally settled on LinkSys, and haven't had a problem since.

Is there electrical wiring running through the floor? Are there any fluorescent lights in the house, especially near your computers? If so, both would have a detrimental effect (the lights more so) on wireless range.

You may want to try a better antenna on the desktop system. I've seen units that can sit on top of the computer, and use a skinny cable to connect to the Wireless card. Hawking Technologies makes some good ones.

Happy tweaking.

Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Yes, he could/should.

Its an interesting point though the author made regarding the laptop performance v's the PCI card.

My experience is the same. My faithful old HP 2200 laptop with inbuilt antenna picks up stuff the standard PCI card (stock antenna) couldn't hope to find.

The much maligned laptop antenna actually works pretty damn good overall.

Of course, once the PCI card had a directional antenna fitted it was a no contest - huge difference.

Cheers all

Rob

Reply to
me here

I put both bouter & network adapter anthenas to horizontal position. I seem to see bit more "Low signal" than "Very low signal" messages, but that's about it.

Could this be malfunctioning network adapter? Would it be worth trying to exchange it for a new one?

Thank you,

Lester

Reply to
Lester

Hi Lester,

Its more likely to be caused by the PCI antenna.

From my experiences these are not great.

The fact that the laptop works OK means interference is probably ruled out, so that points to the antenna or the card.

If its not a huge job, I'd first try moving the PC to the same room as the router to see if things improve. Should be 100% signal.

If not 100% then its possible the PCI card is faulty.

This type of problem seems to appear in news groups fairly frequently.

I put up some infomation on the poor wifi performance of PCI antennas recently. Worth a read.

formatting link
' I got mine working very well, but its a pity the manufacturers dont make more of an issue on this weakness.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.