wireless network

I have a query....

Got a wireless network running in a building across from the one my office is in. I want to connect wirelessly to the network - which I have done and everything works. Only problem is that the signal is quite weak.

What I want to do is insert a wireless repeater to boost the signal to my office. Can I use a simple wireless bridge? If not - what is needed?

I can source the repeater/bridge next to the window so that it is much nearer and think that will be fine.

TIA

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:45:39 +0100, "Jim" wrote in :

No. You can use a wireless client bridge cabled to a wireless access point (which should be on a different minimally-overlapping channel). That's the ideal setup.

Or you could use a WDS repeater if you can find one that works with the remote access point. You'll probably need to go with the same brand, and throughput will be cut in half.

A directional high-gain antenna might be needed.

Reply to
John Navas

"Jim" hath wroth:

The spirit is willing but the signal is weak? Perhaps if you would disclose something about what hardware you are using, it might be possible to offer a suggestion? How far are you trying to go? What is in between you and the wireless access point? Any metalized mylar in the windows? Stock rubber ducky antennas or external antenna? Laptop, desktop, or ethernet client radio? Do you have lots of altitude so that you're picking up lots of interference from the other users in the buildings?

Hmmm... You've been reading the manufacturers literature. Repeaters have their own collection of problems. They usually have to be "supported" by the vendor of the access point or wireless router. A repeater will work, but you will get half your maximum thruput. If there's no other way to do this, such as better antennas, then I guess a repeater will suffice.

If your unspecified wireless router happens to support WDS (wireless distribution service), then purchase an identical router. This has a few advantages (which I don't wanna go into right now).

A "simple wireless bridge" won't work directly because wireless bridge radios are made to talk to each other, not to other access points or wireless routers. However, you can make a pair of wireless bridge radios function by simply installing one bridge radio on the LAN side of the existing wireless router, and another in your office. You will need to plug into this wireless bridge radio as you cannot connect to it wirelessly with what I presume is your wireless laptop. Since there will be two radios operating (the existing wireless router and the added wireless bridge radio) you will need to select two different non-interfering channels and different SSID's. Not recommended if you are the only user in your office area, but a good solution if you are trying to glue two networks together.

The good news is that most wireless bridge and access point radios have a repeater mode. No need to buy a dedicated repeater. The problem is that the insipid literature often doesn't bother mentioning this feature. Try:

formatting link
formatting link
various emulators. Dive through the menus and see if your prospective bridge or access point has a repeater mode.

The same boxes also sometimes have a "wireless client mode". This will allow you to plug your ethernet cable into the box, and use it to connect to the wireless router. If located in the window, it will function in place of whatever you're currently using. The cable may not be convenient, but you may be able to position the wireless client in a better location than your presumed laptop.

In the future, if you have a question, kindly supply:

1. What you are trying to accomplish? (you did that nicely)
  2. What you have to work with? (hardware, software, topography, etc)?
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

ADSL wireless router is linksys. Not far at all - maybe 15 yards. Problem is that there is quite a lot of concrete and oak inbetween. Normal windows, simple old fashioned double glazed. Only three clients connecting..

No, I have not been reading literature.

I think that the easiest way to solve this problem is to use a bridge and plug an access point into the bridge via ethernet. I can use a different channel to the router and bridge and this will be fine.

Reply to
Jim

Model number of Linksys? Many Linksys models have the WDS repeater feature.

Concrete is bad. RF does not go through it. If you can see the Linksys wireless router, you can connect. Put a few obstacles in the way, and it's not going to work.

Good. You're still sane.

A WDS repeater is the easiest way, although configuration is a bit of a challenge. This might help:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
[..]

Glad to know that even the expert like you feel that way.

Reply to
Amanda

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.