Wireless network

I have set up sattelite broadband due to no access to cable or dsl in my area. and then added a d- link wireless router with d link pcmia card for my laptop it is working fine in my house with ecellent signal. ( i have set up the aerial for router at window when i bring my laptop outside to a portacabin roughly 50 ft from the window i t show ok-good signal but says limeted or no connectivty icon. Any ideas what would be wrong and is there any way i could boost the signal any way just to give me a mors stady reception.

Many thanks in advance for any help

Reply to
Loupier
Loading thread data ...

ok, so you know the system works.

Is it definitely your router's signal? You may be detecting a neighbours router. make your SSID identifiable, so you can be sure.

Also, despite 300ft claims for wireless, lots of factors can reduce that considerably. You'll need line-of-sight, no trees, etc etc.

My suggestion would be to start off with the laptop say 10ft from the aerial and with a connection, then walk slowly away till you lose it.

you can probably improve things with a very simple antenna, such as some aluminium foil or a cantenna type. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Switch your router off, go to the Portacabin and explore the spectrum. If you find another network on the same channel, it could be an interference problem.

Reply to
Motorcyclesaur

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.