Wireless netwerk fails and works again after router off/on

Yeah. Your router might be getting attacked from the internet by various tools or evil people. See:

formatting link
try the "Exploits Test". My BEFW11S4v4 hangs on two of these (I forgot which ones). A power cycle is necessary to recover.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I share my wireless network with two others and lately at some time all of us can no longer internet/email. After I switch the router off and turn it on again everything seems to work fine again. Until an undefined amount of time...

Signal strength remains excellent always. I have a Daytrek Vigor 2600 We.

Anyone have a clue??

Thanx!!! Jeroen

Reply to
Jeroen Moolhuijsen

Oh well. So much for that guess. I'm glad I'm not keeping score.

Don't do a firmware upgrade over the wireless link. In case you didn't catch my drift, I'll repeat it. Don't do a firmware upgrade over a wireless link. I don't wanna go into what can go wrong, why the stupid routers like to reset the wireless device in the middle of an upgrade, or why every single manufactory says that you shouldn't do it over wireless. Just find the CAT5 cable you threw in the trash when you got wireless, connect it between your computah and the router, and do it the right way.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

thanx for this suggestion. I'll try this right away!!

Jeroen

Reply to
Jeroen Moolhuijsen

Jeff,

thanx for your tip, but my system succesfullay passed the Exploits test.

Meanwhile I'm trying to upgrade the firmware. The releasenotes of the firmware version tell me this might be the solution. However I have not been able to upgrade it. Shouldn't the upgrade itself also work over a wireless connection? The draytek support pages say no, but I can recall I did an upgrade in such a manner about a year ago. ???

grtz, Jeroen

Reply to
Jeroen Moolhuijsen

Yes. You should also use a wired connection to do the initial router setup, and perhaps use it for testing if the wireless connection seems flakey.

formatting link
about the mess. The picture is when I connected an adjustable power supply to my BEFW11S4v4 router to see how low the power supply voltage will go and have the router still operate. Even though the router said "12V 1A" on the label, the router would work down to about

3.5VDC. That means that the use PoE contraption is un-necessary and that it can be powered from just about anything from a gel cell to an almost random voltage wall wart.

Drivel: Why wireless is so popular:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

thanx for the advice. I guess I need a temporary wired networkcard then, to connect the CAT5 cable to my computah.

Jeroen

PS. I like the picture in your "do routers die"-post, by the way. ;-)

Reply to
Jeroen Moolhuijsen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.