Wireless mouse and keyboard

Is it advisable to employ a wireless mouse and keyboard if using a system with Wireless Internet?

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey Mouse
Loading thread data ...

I have used the 27MHz and 2.4GHz versions without any major problems but tend to acquire the combo versions rather than buy a wireless mouse and then add a wireless keyboard giving you 2 receivers. I have so far encountered only one faulty 2.4 GHz USB receiver but that was replaced under warranty. One of my neighbours has had a problem with the USB ports on an oldish computer whereby there seemed to be insufficient power to operate the 2.4GHz receiver but removal of his other USB devices cured that, device manager did report the ports as USB2. I have so far had no RF interference issues. Looking at your other post, did you try switching off the wireless router to see if it was an issue?

Reply to
LR

Generally speaking, I'm asking if there are potential problems using wireless keyboards and mices in conjuntion with a routed systems. Judging by your reply it appears that according to your experiance there is a possibility of problems.

No I didn't. It didn't occur to me 'till I took the pc back home to reinstall. When I got it home it worked fine. Might have been better if it had a bad system install. I still can't see how the WiFi could have caused this. Come to think of it, I've had the same problem once before in my workshop. I installed a dlink DIR300 G router in a pc and seemed to install ok. However, when I installed a receiver on my other pc, a Dlink DWA-510 Wireless G Desktop Adaptor the pc with the adapter behaved the exact same way as my original post. Removing the adaptor rectified the problem. I'm unfamiliar with Wireless systems and for me I think they are not worth the trouble. Especially since a friend recently told me that his "protected" wifi had been hacked by someone and he now has a battle with the telephone company over a $5000 internet bill incurred over two and a half month period.

Thanks for the kind reply, LR

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey Mouse

The problems I have encountered have been with the mouse, keyboard and computer components and not with interference from the WiFi network.

It was the correct PCI Interface slot? PCI 2.3

Reply to
LR

My only experience is that it causes no interference. We hava a Logitech V470 sitting about 2 feet away from our DGL-4300, with no problems.

Bluetooth "hops" from channel to channel (he said in his techno-illiterate way) while WiFi stays fixed. There _could_ be interference. HP have a PDF you can download discussing it.

formatting link

Reply to
Warren Oates

A lot of the wireless keyboards and mice only use 78 channels, don't use

2780 MHz, rather than the 79 for Bluetooth. I have wondered whether they partly do this to avoid having to conform to Bluetooth standards.
Reply to
LR

That should have read 2480MHz not 2780.

Reply to
LR

I've never had any problems at all. Wireless k/b-mouse systems work on totally different frequencies.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Look at section 3.2

Reply to
LR

Logitech V200 and G7 mice work on 2.4GHz. Lots of others are now on

2.4GHz. Search Google for "2.4GHz mouse". There are also Bluetooth mice on 2.4GHz. Search Google for "Bluetooth Mouse".

Most 2.4GHz mice work like cordless phones. The FCC graciously allows adaptive frequency selection to avoid interference. The mouse picks one of 80 assorted 1MHz wide channels, sends data in short bursts, and does not change channel. Interference is minimal. Unlike 802.11 FHSS, mice are not required to frequency hop over the entire band (thus obliterating everything).

Keyboards and mice are not going to an interference problem because they're not on the air long enough to cause a problem. That's not the case if you use BlueGoof for file transfers and other apps that generate lots of traffic.

I once tried to intentionally create interference with a 2.4GHz mouse. I had the mouse doing continuous movements. No noticable drop in thruput. However, I can literally kill a wi-fi file transfer with a BlueGoof 1.1 adapter (which does not have Adaptive Frequency Hopping) by simultaneously moving data. That's NOT the case with 2.0, which will find an empty block of channels.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.