Wireless Modem and card won't talk!!!

Hi,

I have a Siemens SpeedStream 6520 4 port ADSL Wireless Router connected to a PC (Win2KPro). I also have an IBM 380D laptop with a Netgear MA401 16 bit wireless PCMCIA card. I can't get the modem to see the laptop.

I have got the SSID name correct. I have set up the WEP at 128 on both sides and also generated a key and entered the hex key in the laptop. I have got the right channel as well.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Col

Reply to
Network Buzzard
Loading thread data ...

I have a Siemens SpeedStream 6520 4 port ADSL Wireless Router connected to a PC (Win2KPro). I also have an IBM 380D laptop with a Netgear MA401 16 bit wireless PCMCIA card. I can't get the modem to see the laptop.

I have got the SSID name correct. I have set up the WEP at 128 on both sides and also generated a key and entered the hex key in the laptop. I have got the right channel as well.

Thanks,

Col

as with my previous post to another, check your firewall settings is the Notebook cleared to see the router.

Go back to basics, disable Firewall and No WEP

Reply to
Ted Eboy

OK. Have done that. Icon on laptop has turned green and sognal strength is 100%. However, the modem has not go the green light for wireless device connection.

Thanks,

Col

as with my previous post to another, check your firewall settings is the Notebook cleared to see the router.

Reply to
Network Buzzard

double click the small computer icon on bottom right icon bar and locate any properties boxes or look for any Wireless Networks settings. Make sure Use "Windows to configure my wireless etc" is NOT ticked.

I have found it very worthwhile, when setting up my wireless settings, to restart the comp after amending setting. Try this and report back.

Thanks,

Col

Reply to
Ted Eboy

I have found it very worthwhile, when setting up my wireless settings, to restart the comp after amending setting. Try this and report back.

Thanks,

Col

Reply to
Network Buzzard

I was referring to the laptop. Perhaps you have a different driver system under 2000 I don't have any 2000s running so cant even help further sorry

Thanks,

Col

Reply to
Ted Eboy

Thanks,

Col

Reply to
Network Buzzard

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

Sorry for top-posting - client hates html code.

Anyways, what "modem" are you talking about? If you're using DSL on a desktop with a wireless router, you're not dealing with a "modem" on the laptop; you're dealing with the Netgear card. If you've got the "green" light on the PCMCIA card, then the card and the laptop *are* wireless.

I know of no "modem" that has a "green" light for "wireless" connection. Are you talking about your laptop, your router, or your DSL "modem"?

Reply to
Fearless

Sorry for top-posting - client hates html code.

Anyways, what "modem" are you talking about? If you're using DSL on a desktop with a wireless router, you're not dealing with a "modem" on the laptop; you're dealing with the Netgear card. If you've got the "green" light on the PCMCIA card, then the card and the laptop *are* wireless.

I know of no "modem" that has a "green" light for "wireless" connection. Are you talking about your laptop, your router, or your DSL "modem"?

Reply to
Network Buzzard

--------------------

Well number one it would be nice if you posted in plain text and not HTML as it's a PITA to view and one must convert to plain text and post back a reply.

Secondly, what IP is the wireless machine getting from the router if you enter IPconfig /all at the DOS Command Prompt? If the machine comes back with the 169 IP, it means that the machine is timing out and cannot get a DHCP IP from the router and the O/S has assigned the IP. This is usulay due to some type of mis-configuration between the card or the router most likely due to WEP keys don't match. However, it could be due to equipment defect too.

Thirdly, you mention 16 bit driver, which indicates the O/S may be a Win 9'x or ME O/S and it seems are always a PITA when it comes to wireless.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane ;-)

Ethernet, Wireless, Power, Internet and DSL. All lights are green except for Wireless.

and someone else said

Network Buzzard, can you please configure OE properly, to put a quotation indicator ie > at the start of lines in messages you're replying to. Better yet, use a proper news client.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

OK OK!! I have wireless DSL router connected by USB to the desktop. I have a laptop with a Netgear MA401 wireless card in the slot. I am running Win2K Pro on both machines. I have disabled WEP on both machines and I have checked the box on the router for SSID broadcast. To answer question:

1) ip address for wireless laptop is coming up with 169.254.97.38 (in the autoconfiguration field).

Hope this has come out in plain text?

Reply to
Network Buzzard

Mark,

Not sure how to change setting for "top posting" whatever that is??

My router is a Siemens Speedstream 6520.

How do I get my laptop to talk to the router?

Thanks,

Col

Reply to
Network Buzzard

You mean the router is connected to the desktop directly? Is the router designed to work like this? I would have expected it to either be an ethernet cable connection to the desktop, or the router to be connected to a modem. You don't mention which router, so its impossible to say from this end.

Ok, this is all fine.

The laptop isn't talking to the router.

its plain text, but you're stull not properly quoting responses, and ideally you should avoid top-posting.

another missing level of quotation

and another one...

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

"Network Buzzard" wrote in news:Lzyme.6788$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

1) Doesn't the Netgear MA401 wireless card have a 32bit driver? The Win 2K O/S is a 32bit O/S and most of the drivers used on the O/S are 32 bit drivers and manufatures do make the 32 bit drivers for their products. You may be able to use the 16 bit driver for the card but it's questionable. You can go out to the Netgare site and see if there is a 32 bit driver for the card and doneload and install it. 2) You can install the driver and configure the card with the Win 2K O/S's Device Manager by going to the card in the Device Manager and right-clicking and Properties. 3) The 169. IP means the the O/S couldn't get an IP from the DHCP server on the router and as timed out and the O/S auto assigied the IP. The 169 IP will allow access to other machines connected to the router (the LAN) but it will not allow the machine to access the WAN (Internet) since it never got an IP from the router. This is usually as mis-configuration of the card or the router on the wireless or either of the two devices can be defective too and it's not going to happen.

The IP should be in the ball park of the other machine if that machine has a IP from the router and is accessing the Internet, if it's a wire connection.

Yes, disable any WEP on the card and the router and boot the machine and see if can get an IP from the router that doesn't start with 169. If the

169 IP is still there after a reboot and you have done #1, then the TCP/IP Stack maybe locked on the Win 2K O/S and you'll have to reset it to make it release the 169 IP. You can also try IPconfig /release and Ipconfig /renew at the DOS Command Prompt too and see if the O/S will release the 169 IP.

If it doesn't release the 169 IP then try what's in the link.

formatting link
Or find one for Win 2K and see if that will release the 169 IP.

formatting link
There is another way to release the 169 IP as a last hope. We won't get into that right now.

If after all that and the 169 IP is still there, you should think

*defective*.

If the router is a B/G model the make sure it's set for the B or G card.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Top posting is where your reply to a message appears above the quoted original message. It's rather difficult to follow such an article when each paragraph reads from top to bottom, while succeeding replies read from bottom to top. There are those that actually prefer top posting as it's not required to scroll down to the bottom of a long message to read the one line reply. Anyway, my preference is that you add your comments on the bottom.

To fix the problem, start by abandoning Outlook Express as a news reader and switch to a dedicated newsreader such as Forte Agent:

formatting link
$29 for the full version. The free version is, well, er ah, free.

When you reply to a message, add your comments below the quoted message, not above. Also, edit the quoted part of the message to eliminate excessive clutter, signatures, drivel, and unrelated text, so as to make it easier to read, while still leaving enough context to determine the topic.

As an added note, I should point out that I answer a considerable number of questions on usenet. However, I'm also very lazy. If presented with an unreadable and unformatted mess, that takes excessive effort to decode, I tend to just ignore such postings. If you want answers, make it easy for people to read your questions.

While I'm ranting on the subject, I've noticed that many people seem to think that supplying details on their system topology and hardware collection is un-necessary. Quite the contrary as specific pieces of hardware and software tend to have rather specific bugs and problems. When asking a question, be sure to include:

1. What problem are you trying to solve? One or two sentences is all that's really necessary here.
  2. What do you have to work with? That means operating system, equipment, model numbers, and possibly version numbers.
  3. What did you try that did (or didn't) work?
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Its not a setting, its a method of typing. Simply type your response below the text you're replying to, just as you would write an actual conversation down. Do trim the post though, to remove irrelevant material.

Break it down into steps. Firstly, disable all security measures at both ends (firewalls, mac address locking, WEP etc), set the laptop to a fixed IP address in the same block as the router (eg if the router is 192.168.0.1, set the laptop to 192.168.0.2) and try connecting it with an ethernet cable. If this works, then re-enable DHCP on the laptop. If this works, disable all wireless security on both laptop and router, put the laptop 2 feet from the router and try agian, both with and without a fixed IP. If this works, move the laptop further away. If this still works, reintroduce security.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Network Buzzard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.