Wireless mesh as a partial solution

Recently a poster asked about wireless mesh networks for a neighborhood setup up. While not knocking the technology, some people have really advised against such a system. My question especially in regards to dual band radios is why??

Take for example a rural setting of approx 100 users who want to share a satellite connection out of the village. The buildings are close enough where you can use a dual band radio to act as an access point, and as a backhaul link on two different frequency bands, and then connect out to the satellite. The users realize that this is a shared medium, and due to to cost of satellite bandwidth, high bandwidth intensive applications are expected to run poorly as more people are on line at the same time. But for generic email and surfing patterns, this kind of network runs good enough. Now of course when such systems are set up, we reduce power and use terrain and buildings to attenuate the signals to limit self interference, along with frequency planning (actually channel planning). This results in a system where the SNR is acceptable to the receivers to give the clients a decent connection. I am thinking that properly planned and implemented a wireless mesh network will work for a small geograpical area where buildings are close together.

Of course for some larger villages where people are separted by a distance, we use a combinaton of wimax base stations and mesh as needed. For small rural areas this appears to fit the solution of providing access to people. Now you must also realize that this villages are not on a road system, and the only way in is by small prop planes or barge.

Reply to
Dana
Loading thread data ...

My recent reads, indicate that single or even dual band radios won't scale efficiently. IOW, the more users, the less bandwidth available, which gets real serious when you add more nodes. The last AP, for example, in a 4 node system, can only access 1/64th the orignial bandwidth in theory, much less in praactice. I'ts got to do with all the backhaul, overhead, firmware, and AP mem I think.

The solution is to us "multi radios" to handle all the overhead. At least that's what I think today:)

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^

Proper backhaul planning and system design can handle this. I agree about the scalability though, which is why I myself do not use this technology in the larger villages. But in the smaller villages of say 30 to

50 houses, mesh networking works great and is more cost effective in serving the limited number of people. Of course this is not a project for an amatuer, though it can be done if this person is willing to spend time and money. I am speaking from a telco perspective where there is grant money and low cost lows that can be used to install, and maintain such a system.
Reply to
Dana

Well, we are (were) all amatuers once, right? And before that couldn't tie our own shoes:)

Need some help somewhere in the boonies? I work cheep, and like to fly. Got expenses, will travel.

MM^^

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^

Good point. We usually find one or two people in the villages who are able to help us, especially when a device needs to be power cycled, or an antenna remounted, and we are in another village, and getting there would take a couple of days.

Check out rural alaska, and some of its issues. Some villages do not have good running water or sewer, hence it tends to be quite interesting.

Reply to
Dana

Piece of cake. I was in Viet Nam for a few years. Don't kow about the cold, though......... Got helicopter? Can fly, too.

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^

While I was not in Vietnam, I was in Iraq twice, once in 91, and also just recently as a contractor. Lots of helicopter rides out to our microwave repeater sites (quite a few of them). If you have a telecom background telealaska, unicomm and a few other rural telcos are looking for help. We tend to be innovative as we have to keep the old stuff running, and find ways to provide service to small villages while at least breaking even, or operating the service on the funds provided to provide service to rural areas, and the accounting that goes along with government grants and loans.

Reply to
Dana

One of my towers is accessible only by horse. Vehicles are not allowed.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

Now that is interesting. Is this site in a national or state park or refuge?

>
Reply to
Dana

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.