Wireless link to shared printer?

Printer / copier (Sharp) has only parallel and USB ports. Several PCs on a conventional RJ45 router, an older SMC 7704ABR. Some of these run Win98, some WinXP. No way am I going to spend a day and a half drilling holes in ancient joists and beams to run a cable. Is there a simple single-link setup that I can use to connect just that one device wirelessly, or should I replace the current router with a wireless one? Choices may be limited, as the little SMC's modem-connect capability is frequently needed when the ADSL goes down.... SUggestions? thanks / mark

Reply to
Mark
Loading thread data ...

Something like this perhaps

formatting link

Reply to
CWatters

formatting link

Sorry Ignore that. Your printer doesn't have a network port. You need something like a Wireless Router (or add an Access point to the existing Router) and a Wireless Printer Server. Check that the one you buy supports your printer AND google to find out how well it works. Not all printer servers are good - sometimes the back channel (ink status) doesn't work for example.

There are also wireless point to point devices (eg bluetooth) that would connect the printer to one PC where it could be shared.

Reply to
CWatters

Actually if the printer is going to be near one of the PC and you already have a wire from the router to that PC you could add a wired hub and a wired printer server.

Reply to
CWatters

Thanks - A day of pushing holes through ancient joists, and pushing / fishing cat5 cables thru the asbestos isn't my idea of a fun day helping out a local church , hence the wireless approach.

Wondered about bluetooth, too... /mark

CWatters wrote:

Reply to
Mark

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 07:16:32 -0700, Mark wrote in :

Consider powerline networking instead of wireless.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.