Wireless Laptop Network Card Q

I just bought a Belkin Wireless Laptop Network Card Adapter - 54g.for my laptop and now want to buy a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless G Router I see there is a few on eBay with 125g on the box. Would this still be compatible or would I have to buy the one with 54g. Not knowing much about it I suppose I would not benefit the extra speed if I only have a 54g on the laptop would this be right?

Cheers Tracey

Reply to
tightguard
Loading thread data ...

Yes this would still be compatible. Router that have Speed Boost, Plus Mode, Enhanced Mode, High-Speed Mode or whatever the other brands are calling it these days, are only capable of getting the high speed if used with a compatible wireless client adapter. Meaning that you can not us a Belkin 125g with a Linksys Speed Boost and get the 125Mbps speed. You can however use the two and get 54Mbps, with the right conditions.

Danny,

Reply to
Danny Kile

The basic, compatible, rate is the 54g. You would be able to use 54g in this mixed environment.

Because the "extra" rates are vendor-specific, you would have to have a card from the same vendor as the router to take advantage of the non-standard rate. That might include two vendors that use the same chipset, or whose products are actually made by the same company.

I once had a problem with an SMC "22Mbps" card that would not connect for more than a minute with a Netgear 54g. I had to disable the non-standard "Turbo" implementation in the SMC card, so it could connect at 11b. I haven't seen anyone else mention that sort of incompatibility.

Reply to
dold

snipped-for-privacy@94.usenet.us.com hath wroth:

Yep. Agreed. Faster than 125Mbits/sec is not mentioned in the IEEE-802.11g standard and is deemed "proprietary".

I usually just turn those modes off even if they are compatible. The problem is that the card spends an inordinant amount of time switching in and out of these advanced modes trying to squeeze every last bit of thruput out of the system. Besides, they only work for fairly short ranges and then only if there is no interference.

Different proprietary standard. 22Mbits/sec is Texas Instruments implimentation of PBCC (Packet Binary Convolutional Code) which was an optional alternative to OFDM protocols included in IEEE 802.11g-2003 in section 19.6. It was necessary to obtain TI's vote to obtain approve 802.11g-2003. There's also a PBCC 33Mbits/sec mode which I haven't seen implimented.

Products which use the TI ACX1000 chipset have this mode. Unfortunately, various implimentations (i.e. DWL-900AP+) would screw up 802.11b connections if the 22Mbit/sec mode was enabled. It would constantly try to make a faster 22Mbit/sec connection, fail, but take so long doing it, that the 802.11b connection would think the client has disconnected. It works just fine as "22Mbits/sec only" but does badly when mixed with 802.11b.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Excellent I changed it to the 125g card paid a bit more. May I say guys thanks all for the speedy/helpfull info

Tracey

Reply to
TGS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.