wireless lan to ethernet adapter.

While I have a reasonably good knowledge of electronics and hardware I am looking for help with setting up a home network. What I am looking for is quite specific.

I have a stack of wireless pcmcia cards (Netgear MA401 802.11b) and I have a stack of ethernet cables, both straight through and twisted pair.

I need to be able to find an adapter or other type of hardware to enable me to plug an ethernet cable into the the pcmcia card. This is so my son can use his Playstation on the broadband connection I have without me having to buy too much extra equipment.

If I could put one end of the cable into his Playstation and the other into the adapter with the pcmcia card already in it and it connects to the dsl router it would be superb.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Damms

Reply to
pauldamms
Loading thread data ...

I think you're going to have to run the ethernet cable from the PS2 directly to the router. You *might* be able to do it the way you're proposing, but there'd be quite a few technical hoops to jump through. There are PCMCIA ethernet cards available, but that wouldn't automatically make the PS2 be connected to the net.

Reply to
Rôgêr

I should have added that there are wireless client devices available that you can hook up to your PS2 and let it connect directly to the router, no laptop or PCMCIA stuff in the middle. Search on eBay for "PS2 wireless bridge" or "XBox wireless bridge", but finding an inexpensive one may take some searching.

Reply to
Rôgêr

I plug my PS2 via crossover CAT 5 into the LAN port of my desktop. The desktop is WiFi to my Linksys WRT54G via a generic PCI WiFi card. The WLAN connection on the desktop has Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) enabled. It all works great!

Reply to
__spc__

Thanks for all your help, I think I'll probably need to plug the playstation into my pc and let him do it that way. I really was hoping to do it wirelessly so he wouldn't need to touch any of my equipment, and then maybe after Christmas I can buy a wireless router with modem, this will enable me to be using my pc in a different room.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Reply to
pauldamms

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.