Wireless LAN - shared drives and printers problem

OK. So this is probably not a wireless problem, more like a LAN sharing problem...

Desktop PC has a number of shares set up. I can connect to these from my laptop (wireless peer-to-perr) but it asks me for a password whenever I do.

Also, although the desktop printer is shared I can't access it from the laptop.

Desktop is in a workgroup but laptop is member of a domain (its my work laptop so I can't change it). Is this causing the problem ?

Any ideas on how to fix ?

Reply to
paulfoel
Loading thread data ...

"paulfoel" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

The problem is the laptop is part of your job's domain. If you're not admin on the machine, then you cannot change it to join another domain or workgroup. If you where admin on the machine and did changed it to join your WG, then in order for you to connect the machine back to your job's domain, the machine has to connected back by someone who has Domain Admin rights and you don't have it.

The bottom line is there is most likely nothing you can do about your situation but give the user-id and psw to access the shares. If you need to print a file, then you may need to get the file over to your desktop machine and hopefully you have the same software on your machine to do the printing.

Or if there is a router in play, you may be able to connect a printer server to the router with the printer connected to the print server. With that setup, all machines using the router would be able to see the printer and use it and you may have enough rights on the machine to select a network printer. But if you're not admin on that machine, you may not be able to do that either as there may be a print driver for the printer that may need to be installed during the install and selection process and you don't have the rights on the machine.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I do have both local admin and domain admin passwords so, theoretically, I could remove the laptop from the domain...

However, this is obviously a bit of hassle because I'd need to reconnect it etc.

Yeh. The only way I've been able to print at the moment is by copying the file to the desktop, VNC to this, and print etc.

Reply to
paulfoel

Look for a program like NetSwitcher. It allows you to have "Work" and "Home" network profiles for the laptop, and I think even lets one profile set the laptop to be a Domain member and the other to be a Workgroup member.

John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.