Wireless + LAN Net Connection? Can they play together?

Hello!

I had a question, one that I hope will be pretty simple to answer. My apartment has two internet connections at this point:

1. A cable connection that is run through the local university or somesuch nonsense, which has a 1gig upload/download limit but is quite fast

1. A DSL wifi connection which has an no limits as far as uploads and downloads, but isn't quite as fast, and is split between room-mates.

My question is this: Is there any way to use both net connections at the same time? And if so, is there any way to specific that, say, firefox should only go through the cable, but Steam should download games through the Wifi? Thanks!

~ Matt

Reply to
Mystrunner
Loading thread data ...

Maybe, if you understand IP addressing/routing. And a few other "if"s.

Maybe, if you connect via pc ethernet port to cable modem (which port will likely receive IP via DHCP) and wireless adapter (with separate IP.)

OS (which you don't specify) will then likely determine "cost" of using either of those two portals to the world, and route packets to incur least "cost." Guess is that means cable modem over ADSL.

Once you know addresses assigned to network adapters (which likely will vary) you could manually route packets via one or the other to some range of IPs. No idea how to do that by app; likely not doable IMHO.

J
Reply to
barry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.