wireless lan

question is

You can set up security, either WEP or WPA-PSK. Preferably WPA-PSK. This requires the client device (pc or laptop) to have the same Passphrase entered to be able to associate with the AP. There are other helpful methods that will assist unless your neighbor is a hacker type. Mac filtering is one, you enter into the AP the macs of all your devices and it will only allow these to connect, not the neighbors. Just be aware that there are methods to get around the Mac filtering and to find out the WEP passphrase and WPA-PSK is prone to offline dictinary attacks so use a long no sense passphrase using WPA-PSK. Chances are your neighbor has no idea about these hacking methods but you never know. If your wireless devices dont mention WPA_PSK you might look for driver and firmware updates on the manufacturers web site.

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

These may be old / dated - but the concepts still apply ...

Reply to
riggor9999

Unplug it.

Reply to
Rodney Kelp

What sort of wireless WAN do you have? are you using a router, wireless access point, ad hoc? What O/S you using? W98, XP, W2000?

Bit difficult to answer without more details but you could have a look at WEP or WAP. Depending if you have a router or not, you may be able to set up MAC address filtering.

Reply to
Tony

Hi there, I think that my neighbour man unasked my Internet shared my question is can someone explain me how I can protect my wireless lan in advance ? thank. Marion.H

Reply to
M.H

Turn on MAC filtering, if your wireless AP/router supports it; won't stop anyone from seeing what's going over your network, but it'll prevent them from using it. Encryption, of any form, is better than none. Don't bother with changing your SSID; making it weird just makes it "interesting" to war drivers. Leaving it "netgear" or "dlink" will make you look more boring.

Reply to
Pat

He actually did pretty well for someone whose native language is probably Dutch.

punctuation.

Those ideas are actually pretty useless for adding any sort of security to a wireless network.

Reply to
George

1. Learn to write proper English. You will have many, many more questions to ask of us on this issue, and you will find you will get better responses if you avoid non-English constructs such as 'neighbor man', 'Internet shared' and the failure to separate sentences with periods. I hope this does not offend you, but it's a fact that the better English you write in queries here, the more useful the responses are.
  2. Employ security measures to restrict access to your network. a) Change the name of your access point to something which is not a word or series of words in any language. Mix it up with numbers and punctuation. b) Avoid broadcasting the name of your access point. c) Reorient your antenna(s) on your WAP and use passive reflectors to limit where your signal goes. If you put the WAP in the corner of your house closest to him, and put reflectors between the antenna(s) and his house, you will radically reduce the signal strength going in his direction. d) Employ WPA security. Sadly, WEP 128-bit security has been cracked, and WEP 40-bit was a very bad joke from the onset..

These four simple and inexpensive measures will provide you with a much more secure wireless system.

Reply to
no.one

snipped-for-privacy@no.gov wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.de:

Ecuse me my friend, but a quick look at the headers would have told you that the original poster is from the Netherlands. So, how fluent are you in Dutch?

Who would disagree?

If by "name of your access point" you mean the SSID, this is worthless advice and provides no additional security

This is bogus security. While it may give you a false feeling of security, the SSID is *always* transmitted and cannot be hidden. Disabling SSID broadcast will cause certain things to either not work at all or not work well.

Agreed

Agreed. Encryption is the best security. On a home network, WPA-PSK is more likely than WPA (which implies IEEE 802.1X and a RADIUS server)

Sort of. It is certainly true that WEP is insecure. However, the time it takes to crack is often exaggerated. If the network does not have WPA available, then WEP encryption is the next best line of defence. Note that some networks (for example, many (most?) WDS implementations) cannot use WPA and may have to fall back on WEP.

Network security (wired or wireless) is based on authentication and encryption. WPA (good) or WEP (less good) are intended to provide this.

Reducing the footprint of the wireless signal is a good idea, but is not 'security': other than encryption, the other advice is worthless.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, and I'm not attempting to start a flame war, but please do not attempt authoritative advice with what appears to be limited, perhaps second hand, knowledge.

Usenet is a medium where all are free to post - but many find that advice is worth precisely the price paid for it.

Kind regards

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.