wireless keeps going out

Recently, our wireless goes out and stays gone for quite a while. Occasionally it will come back, but only for a few minutes and then it's gone. If I take my laptop downstairs close to the router, it gets a much better signal and can connect. But upstairs, the network signal is lost. It's never done this before and I'm wondering what could be wrong. Is there a chance that a neighbor or someone might be hijacking my wireless connection? I'm using a Linksys wireless router. Is there a way I can set it up so that I have to enter a password to connect to it? Thanks.

Reply to
vtxr1300
Loading thread data ...

So it sounds like a weak signal so either try moving the AP or add a second AP. It could also be interference if a neighbour has an interfering device upstairs (or you for that matter, like a video sender).

Which Linksys wireless router?

What security mechanism are you using right now? WPA asks for a passphrase if you haven't already supplied one. Alternatively, depending on the router type, you might be able to load tinypeap on the router and do exactly what you want.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Possible interference. See:

"Minimizing 802.11 Interference Issues" at .

"Stop the interference!"

Yes, but that won't stop you from connecting.

See WPA in the manual.

Reply to
John Navas

There is many ways for a lot of different hardware solutions. Most likely your access point is too far away so your connection speed is scaled down and you loose the network. The wireless router itself usually has a menue and can tell u if there are other people inside your network. Also depending on the model of our router there is ways to protect your wlan. tom

Reply to
tom n

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.