wireless internet timeouts just dont stop

Hi all, this is my first ever post in a usenet newsgroup, so I hope I'm not violating any policies or anything.

PC setup:

Downstairs we have a SpeedTouch DSL modem constantly connected, which is connected to a Belkin Router. Upstairs in my room I have a pc with a wireless adapter which is able to connect at maximum signal strength. I've tried all thirteen wireless Channels in the router setup but all channels give me timeouts. Only channel #1 gave me some stability (no timeouts at first) but after doing some streaming (shoutcast) my msn messenger suddenly died along with everything else on the pc. Then timeouts started on channel #1 as well.

Question:

What should I do to fix this? Get a new wireless adapter?

Reply to
korijn
Loading thread data ...

| Downstairs we have a SpeedTouch DSL modem constantly connected, which | is connected to a Belkin Router. Upstairs in my room I have a pc with a | wireless adapter which is able to connect at maximum signal strength. | I've tried all thirteen wireless Channels in the router setup but all | channels give me timeouts. Only channel #1 gave me some stability (no | timeouts at first) but after doing some streaming (shoutcast) my msn | messenger suddenly died along with everything else on the pc. Then | timeouts started on channel #1 as well. | | Question: | | What should I do to fix this? Get a new wireless adapter?

This could possibly be the result of reflections in the signal. Move the wireless devices around to various random positions. Change the orientation of the antennas.

How well does it work with the PC about 1 meter from the router?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On 17 Aug 2006 06:45:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Nope.

Probably not anything close to that -- signal penetrates floors poorly at best. The problem is that many wireless adapters report good signal when idling -- it's only under load that they realize the signal is actually crappy.

Probable interference and/or weak signal. See wikis below.

Eliminate interference first, and then if needed, better antennas are the best way to go. Again, see wikis below.

Reply to
John Navas

simple things first, korjin. experiment by moving the wireless router around a bit and/or change the orientation of the antenna(s) on the router. at the frequencies used by the router sometimes moving the router no more than a few inches one way or the other or slightly changing the way the antenna(s) is/are oriented can make a difference.

if the laptop's wireless adapter is built-in and not an add-on try moving the laptop to a different space in the room or orienting it in such a way that more of the laptop's lid is facing in the general direction of the router. if you've got the door closed to the room where the LT is try opening the door. i think you get the idea. generally, most wireless routers that i am familiar with output a strong enough signal to cover the average home.

are there other wi-fi signals in your neighborhood which might be causing interference? netstumbler can give you loads of information including what channels those systems operate on.

report back on your results.

73, rich, n9dko
Reply to
Rich

I tried everything you all said, and tried to do the ping test in an MSDOS prompt (250 pings to the router) on various times, and came to the conclusion the interference is only present every now and then.

For example, right now (20:00) I have no timeouts, and last night at

02:00 I had no timeouts either, but two days ago at 23:00 I had 40% timeouts.

I've checked the entire house and I can't imagine anything interfering but perhaps the floor or the heating.

Reply to
korijn

On 19 Aug 2006 11:34:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Possibly a neighbor?

Reply to
John Navas

what other wi-fi signals are in your neighborhood?

73, rich, n9dko
Reply to
Rich

Our neighbour's have a wireless network, but I use a different SSID and a different Channel (they use 1, I use 2) so that shouldn't be a big interference. That's all for our neighborhood.

I also tried a ping test on the other machine using a wireless connection while my own machine was having timeouts. It got straight 1 ms pings. The machine connected to the router with a cable always has

Reply to
korijn

On 20 Aug 2006 08:07:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

That's actually a recipe for interference, because channels 1 and 2 have a great deal of overlap. For minimal interference, separate channels by at least 5 numbers (e.g., 1 and 6), more if possible (e.g., 1 and 11).

Reply to
John Navas

I've read a great deal of the Wireless Wikia link in your signature, and came to the conclusion it might help if I switched the bluetooth function of my mobile phone off, and changed the channel to 11, since our neighbours use 1.

I tried more ping tests, and I see little improvement. Although most of it is lower than 4 ms, there are occasional peaks of about 1800 ms. The peaks never come in pairs or more, too.

Reply to
korijn

For example, like this:

Antwoord van 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 tijd=3 ms TTL=64 Antwoord van 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 tijd=3 ms TTL=64 Antwoord van 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 tijd=3 ms TTL=64 Antwoord van 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 tijd=3 ms TTL=64 Antwoord van 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 tijd=1 ms TTL=64 Antwoord van 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 tijd=1 ms TTL=64 Antwoord van 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 tijd=1648 ms TTL=64 Antwoord van 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 tijd=3 ms TTL=64 Antwoord van 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 tijd=1 ms TTL=64 Antwoord van 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 tijd=1 ms TTL=64 Antwoord van 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 tijd=1 ms TTL=64

Reply to
korijn

On 20 Aug 2006 08:48:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

There is probably some other source of interference. See the list of possible sources in the wiki.

Reply to
John Navas

On 20 Aug 2006 09:02:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Consistent with an interference spike.

Reply to
John Navas

I've checked it already!

I'm clueless for what to do next. All the things on the checklist are either switched off or cannot be a problem, since the other pc picks the signal up just fine. I'm going to try the same test with a stronger antenna soon, and I'll try to move the current antenna around a little.

What bother's me is that the interference is only every now and then. I can't imagine a device doing that.

Reply to
korijn

On 20 Aug 2006 10:38:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Another possibility is power management. Try disabling all power management in both driver Advanced settings and Control Panel->Power.

I know of several; e.g., wireless remote temperature sensor that communicates with its base station once per minute.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi, I got the exact same problem on Netgear DG834PN. Did you manage the figure out the cause of this problem?

It is very frustrating because, as you said, it only happens some times during the day. (and it could be very nasty time-out results at time).

Cheers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
aussiebuggaa

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.