Wireless Internet Sharing

Hi,

I am trying to configure my computer to share my Internet connection with a laptop, over a Belkin wireless ad hoc network. File sharing works fine, but when I try to access the Internet it says page cannot be displayed. The IP addresses are 192.168.0.1 for the computer and

192.168.0.2 for the laptop. Please Help!

Andrew.

Reply to
jadeandandrew
Loading thread data ...

I'll assume wireless ad-hoc networking using XP in some shape, form, or fashion.

My suggestion to you is go get a wireless router and switch everything to infrastructure mode, because ad-hoc and XP is nothing but trouble.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Space is limited here so I'd rather not buy anymore hardware if I can help it. The computers connect fine and file sharing is fine, I just can't understand why Internet sharing won't work, I was even running ICS on this computer recently with a crossover cable so everything should already be setup.

Reply to
jadeandandrew

Listen and listen well, the XP O/S and ad-hoc wireless networking are suspect/flakey/not reliable. You all ready have problems with it. You may get it all working one day, only to turn around the next day and it not be working.

You should save yourself some grief, although, you're already on the path.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I second on Duane suggestion, get a wireless box and save your time and effort! You can still buy a MIMO wireless Router, they are the best!.

formatting link

Panda,

formatting link

Duane Arnold wrote:

Reply to
Panda

snipped-for-privacy@july21.co.uk hath wroth:

Duane is right. ICS is a problem. Some of the other software proxy solutions are not much better. Buy a wireless router. If size is an issue, there are several tiny "travel wireless routers" that are suitable. |

formatting link

If you're no longer running ICS, what are you running? However, please don't answer. I don't want to troubleshoot it. Buy the wireless router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Gotta third this series of suggestions. ICS over wifi is unreliable, at best.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

OK I've been converted :P I didn't like the idea of the computer with the modem on it having to be turned on to be able to access the Internet on the laptop anyway!

So can anyone suggest a good cheap one? I already have a Belkin wireless card for the computer and a wireless dongle for the laptop. Is it better to have an internal modem on the router or not? my ISP provide me a modem for free.

Also what's the difference between a router, a hub, and an access point?! :-/

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
jadeandandrew

On 15 Oct 2006 09:46:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@july21.co.uk wrote in :

Pick any two:

• Good * Cheap * Fast

You might get only one. ;)

That said, I recommend Buffalo, which you may be able to get from a local Best Buy, or from on-line resellers (e.g., Newegg.com).

I recommend against integrated modems -- reduces flexibility.

See Wikipedia and the wikis below.

Reply to
John Navas

You should get a router that doesn't come with a modem.

Linksys and Netgear have good products

A NAT router does what's in the link wired or wireless.

formatting link
You should get a packet filtering FW router that meets the specs for *What does a FW do?*. You should get one that you can use something like the

*free* Wallwacther.

formatting link
This is what hubs and switches do. I don't know if wireless cards work in full duplex mode.

Routers have built in switch technology.

formatting link
A wireless AP does what's in the link.

formatting link
A wireless router has a wireless AP built in to it, since wire and wireless computers can be plugged into the wire/wireless AP router or a computer can use the wireless.

If the router is an all wire router, then you would get a standalone wireless AP and plug it into the wire router, so that a wireless computer can share its resources with the wire computers and access the Internet via the gateway wire router, just like the wire computers would be doing.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks for your help Duane etc much appreciaited!

My ISP is Orange/Wanadoo and the modem they supply only has a USB and phone line connector on it, from what I've read I need a network connection on it to be able to use a router which doesn't have a modem built in(?).

Does any modem work with any ISP? If so, can anyone suggest a cheap wireless router with built in modem?

Thanks!

Reply to
jadeandandrew

Well you could use a router with a built in modem and not use the modem part. Meaning don't connect it up to the phone line. But you will need a router with also an USB connection.

It depends on what standard they use. I really like 2Wire DSL modem/routers. They work in areas where others won't. On eBay they can be bought new for like 25 bucks or less. Which is a steal for all what they all do. They are built better than consumer grade too.

Reply to
BillW50

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:28:02 -0500, "BillW50" wrote in :

What makes you think 2Wire is actually better than consumer grade? I'd rate it as better than low-end stuff, but not better than high-end stuff (e.g., Buffalo).

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.