Wireless Internet problem

System information: Router: WTG54G Wireless adapter: Belkin 802.11g Network adapter OS: Windows XP Computer: Dell model of some sort Browser: Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7

I have two problems

1. I am receiving signal from the router. I have run the Linksys EasyConnect tool -- it worked the first time I established the connection between this computer and this router -- and it says that everything should be ready to go. Nonetheless, I am not able to surf the Internet unless I use my dial-up service (using cable to my cell phone, connected to computer via USB port). I also can't connect to any Instant Messenger services. (And, yes, the Internet service is running.)

I don't know if issues Nos. 1 and 2 are connected, but I think they may be because ...

1. When my wireless last worked, on Friday, I had this prompt popping up every several minutes asking me if I wanted to connect to the Internet with a dial-up connection. If I clicked no, the Web page would time out. It would interfere only with the Web pages I was trying to get to when this message came up. At other points, I would be able to surf just fine. Now, this message pops up occasionally, mainly when I try to connect to a Web page without connected via dial-up.

The main thing I don't understand is why I can't connect to the Internet. To me it sounds like something simple is wrong, as if I contracted a virus or someone is running my computer remotely. Any ideas? I have WEP turned on, and I run Windows and Zone Alarm (free) firewalls.

TIA for any help!

Reply to
wickedwritah
Loading thread data ...

Bumping this up so it's still seen.

Reply to
wickedwritah

Have you tried turning off zone alarm and seeing if it works right?

Reply to
David

I have. I also tried turning off the Windows firewall.

Reply to
wickedwritah

I'll take a guess.

Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections Never dial a connection.

Reply to
Pelo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.