Wireless internet needed - how do i go about it?

i have a Intel Centrino Mobile Technology laptop that i would wireless internet on. i have a desktop with cable broadband in the room above and wondered what hardware i needed.

I have seen wireless access points and wireless routers. What's the difference between these?

Secondly will i be able to access files on my desktop wirelessly using a wireless access point or wireless router.

thanks in advance for any comments guys.

Reply to
lavenders19
Loading thread data ...

They are the same thing

Yes and printers as well.

formatting link

Reply to
hackman_3vilGuy

Unless you have a router already (you should have, it's a hardware firewall), you'll need a wireless router.

A wireless router is a single box with a router and an AP in the same box. For your situation, a Linksys WRT54G sounds like a good solution.

Yes, if you have sharing turned on, (software) firewalls set appropriately, etc.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

No, they are not. A router provides internet sharing and firewall protection services that an AP doesn't. Unless the OP already has a wired router, they'll need a wireless router.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I wireless NAT router AP or a wire router is about this.

formatting link
A standalone wireless AP is a bridging device for two networks the existing wire network and the wireless network that the WAP provides. You plug the WAP into the wire NAT router so that the wireless machines can use the wire router as the gateway to access wire or wireless machines on the LAN and the wireless machines can access the Internet via the wire router.

Of course, that's what it's all about. You configure the O/S on the machines to share resources between them and a wire router with stand alone AP or a wireless router with a built in WAP will provide the plumbing.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

thanks guys, looks like a wireless router it is. i will get one ordered from fleabay. thanks.

Reply to
lavenders19

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.