Wireless internet but no LAN

(wired).

On your wireless adapters properties you should have

1. Client for Microsoft Networks
  2. File and Printer sharing
  3. TCP/IP Are these all installed and enabled?

What OS and SP. Do you have a firewall running?

Under show all adapters (if using xp) you might try running the Set up a home or small office network wizard. It will ususally set up everything correctly.

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

Actually in about 98% of those cases it is the SOFTWARE for the wireless adapter or router that is the problem. The two most often seen problems are the routers firmware, and the software for the WiFi card. That is usually the exact complaint (wired works fine, but no or flakey connect when wireless) I see most often, that is mainly fixd by download the software from the manufacturers sites. Try updating them both.. heck it's free and should only take you a few minutes..

PP

DL> If the Internet works then your hardware works. If you cant use your

Reply to
Peter Pan

security

Try getting rid of the NetBeui and just use tcp/ip for lan

Reply to
Airhead

He said it worked fine *WIRED* with the old router (I had a basic 2-computer lan that worked fine with a DI-604 router,)... then he tried a different router AND the wireless cards ("I decided to go wireless. DI-524 router, DWL-G630 for the laptop's adapter.".. Doesn't say if he got em new, updated the software (firmware in the router) or what.... and then ("If I replace the wireless adapter with the wired one, the lan works fine.")....

Sounds like recipe for the software for the wireless cards should probably be updated. From the Dlink Website at

formatting link
are 3 (Three) revisions of that card (that support website has different software for each version). Sure would be nice to know WHICH revision he has (the website shows how to find which of the 3 revisions > few minutes..

Reply to
Peter Pan

Violence works, but only once.

Just to be sure there's no presumptions, can I assume that you replaced the DI-604 router with a DI-524 router?

There seems to be quite a few comments about version 1.05 firmware for the DLink DI-524 rev A1 router being defective. (Rev C1 hardware users 3.x firmware). The usual recommendation is to downgrade to

1.03. See: news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com for my latest comments on the topic for a different DI-524 problem.

No clue if this will help, but if you're out of options, might as well try a firmware downgrade.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I've done gobs of searches & research & experimentation, with no luck. All D-Link equipment.

I had a basic 2-computer lan that worked fine with a DI-604 router, desktop with the basic DFE-530TX+ and a laptop with a DFE-690TX (wired). With the laptop, I had internet and communication with my desktop (lan). No troubles.

I decided to go wireless. DI-524 router, DWL-G630 for the laptop's adapter. The laptop links to the router perfectly, good consistent signal strength, and I get internet access with apparently perfect reliability. (It's good enough that I can't tell the difference between wireless & wired, as far as performance is concerned).

However, the lan refuses to work. I've tried everything I can think of, every setting, and every 'tip' I've found on usenet. Even updated the router's firmware. No change.

If I replace the wireless adapter with the wired one, the lan works fine. That would seem to identify the adapter as the problem, but perhaps that's too simple an approach.

This is driving me to despair, and I wonder how much spontaneous violence LAN problems can incite! Any ideas?

Reply to
Robert Barr

Yup.. and the one thing he specifically does *NOT* say is that he updated the *DWL-G630* software.. There are 3 different revisions of that card, with different software for each revision, yet he absolutely hasn't updated it... Can't look up the revision dates/history without knowing if he has an A B or C revision..

If he is running wireless, then he is NOT using the router at all... He's using the WAP/DHC* wireles server part, not the hardwire router part.

The router is ONLY used for wired connections. The wireless connections are totally separate but connect to the router part.

In other models like the 624 (don't know if it was an option on the 524) you can change it between WAP (only) and WAP & Router, it defaults to wap & router when the settings are reset.

DL> Read it again....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Which version of the card do you have? I show 3 (A B and C) of that model. And just out of curiosity, have you gotten frustrated enuf yet to reset the wap/router to factory defaults? (I was about ready to pull my hair out, and my friend at work came over and did the reset thing... dang if that didn't fix it ((changed something back I had changed in error))

Reply to
Peter Pan

Robert Barr wrote in news:qB3Sd.2044$DW.980 @newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

What O/S(s) are the machines using, what are the services and protocols being used on the NIC(s) and is WEP or WAP enable on the wireless?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Start by trying to ping each computer.

If this fails then look into Firewall settings. Make sure within its setting you allow your machines to see each other. ie for Norton Firewall you can set your Networking Trusted IP addresses. This must be done on both computers.

also within TCP/IP Advanced settings make sure your Win setting is set for NetBIOS over TCP/IP

dj

Reply to
Its Only Me

Nope.... As I have said many times, there are three parts to a wap/router.. One the part that is connected to the wan/dsl/cable/input, and provides internet to both the router and the wap part.. The WAP, and the router. Both the router (wired) and the wap (wireless) part are supplied by the third part.

DL> The router section is being used for the internet connection.

Reply to
Peter Pan

OS on both is Windows 2000. Yes, I have the 3 properties (also NetBEUI). Laptop has internet access with no problems. Just no LAN.

Internet access works with or without security, so I've left security off until I can actually get a lan connection.

Sometimes, when searching for other computers, one will find the other, but it won't be able to access.

Very frustrating. If I swap in the wired adapter on the laptop, everything's fine.

Reply to
Robert Barr

If the Internet works then your hardware works. If you cant use your LAN, then you have a setting(s) wrong in your software.

Im not familiar with windows 2000 so I wont try to walk you through the steps. This is the harfest part and biggest complaint of most of the poster in this newsgroup. Look around in other posts and you should find the answers, or someone else will show up to help.

It is 100% your software (OS or Firewall) setup, dont get descuraged, you will get it.....

Robert.....

Reply to
DLink Guru

No wonder you have no clue about how something actually works... Thanks.. I've been consulting for 24+ years making lots of money cuz stupid people have things all screwed up..

DL> You are lost. The router supplies Internet connection to the built in

Reply to
Peter Pan

Got a shotgun? makes a very satistisfying sound.... :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Got a friend with a wireless laptop? Is there a hotspot around where you can try it out? Can you set one computer to wired and one wireless just to see what happens?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Yes, but the internet would not work if it was a hardware problem. He says the internet connection is fine. So its software.

Reply to
DLink Guru

Ummm... I'm still not sure if you replaced the DI-604 with a DI-524 or if you stuck them in series. I'll assume you did the right thing and have only one router in the system.

Holdit. Rev C1 and rev 1.03 firmware don't mix. Wrong version.

formatting link
one.

If you have a DI-524 rev A1 or B1, then the latest revision is 1.05:

formatting link
you have a DI-524 rev C1, then the latest revision is 3.02:
formatting link

Suicide is the ultimate form of protest but is probably not necessary to convince the router to work. I realize you take computing seriously, but methinks this is a bit excessive. I really don't wanna read the National Inquirer headline "Distraught customer jumps out of window after failing to configure a wireless router".

Actually, I like Mr Peter Pan's suggestion. Push and hold the reset button and start over. Also, check your hardware and firmware versions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I did that right off the bat. There was a minor update for the router, and no update is out there for the adapter. I'm not sure what else I can check.

I appreciate the suggestions from everyone, and I haven't given up, but this is just an exercise in frustration. Odd that internet works OK but no LAN. Oh well...

Reply to
Robert Barr

Read it again....

"I decided to go wireless. DI-524 router, DWL-G630 for the laptop's adapter. The laptop links to the router perfectly, good consistent signal strength, and I get internet access with apparently perfect reliability. (It's good enough that I can't tell the difference between wireless & wired, as far as performance is concerned).

However, the lan refuses to work. I've tried everything I can think of, every setting, and every 'tip' I've found on usenet. Even updated the router's firmware. No change."

He says the internet connection works fine, but the file sharing, he calls it LAN connection, does not.

Reply to
DLink Guru

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.