Wireless internet

If you don't want anything to happen to your laptop then don't let it associate with the unknown Access Point. Maybe that is why they have it unsecured so you will get on their network and they will get into your computer and put a virus on it or zombie program. Don't play with something you don't know about! Especially if your frightened of it in the first place.

Tammy F> I got a (very) nice laptop computer for Christmas/my birthday, it has wi fi.

Reply to
DF
Loading thread data ...

They probably had an unsecured network because either they did not know how to set up their wireless network properly or had someone else do it that was just as ignorant.

To answer your question, though, I know of no program that will tell you what you want to know i.e. where is the source of the unsecured network? What you can do, it re-enable your Wi-Fi device and walk about your apartment/house/street and try to home in on where the signal is strong and then knock on a few doors!

Reply to
Philip N. Daly

I got a (very) nice laptop computer for Christmas/my birthday, it has wi fi. I know very little about Wi Fi, when I'm upstairs in my computer room it shows 2 "hotspots" 1 secure, 1 not. I tried to see if I could connect on the unsecure one.......yep!!! I have no idea how to find who (or what) it belongs to, but with all the "nasties" that can happen to a computer, I would like to inform the person (or business) it belongs to let them know that my laptop picked up the signal. How would I do this? Would I have to "buy" a program? Or would I be able to download a (free) program? I would be heart-broken if something happened to my new laptop, I have been wanting on for a very long time (about 10 yrs) I don't want my laptop (or me) to get in trouble. Any info would be very helpful, please e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@sw.rr.com with "Wi Fi signal" in the subject line. Thank you all for your time.

Reply to
Tammy Fontenot

So what you are saying is hot spots are bad? All I was doing was TESTING the Wi Fi that is in my computer. As soon as I saw it show Yahoo's home page, I shut down my computer, plugged in my cable modem, turned off the Wi Fi switch on my computer & then turned my computer back on.

Reply to
Tammy Fontenot

I know of no program that will allow you to pinpoint a wifi location. There are hardware wifi locators but they range in the $40 or so retail cost I believe.

Tammy your heart is in the right place and I admire your considerate motives. But in today's world keep in mind that people being what they are, you may also get a mind your own business response. I would want to know if my network were unsecured and I would like to think that most people would welcome the advice.

Regards, John O.

Reply to
John and Pat

No, he's saying be careful. Besides, unless you are authorised to connect to that access point (secured or not) you are in breach of the UK computer misuse act by 'only bringing up Yahoo' - (unless you are in the US, although I think they have an equivilent law).

Reply to
Jonni

Oops, it's actually section 125 of the Communications Act 2003. So be careful all you brits using other folks connections!

formatting link

Reply to
Jonni

I'm in the US. I thought I would be nice to "whoever" & let them know that their wireless is unsecure. I think being nice is alot better than being "chewed out". I think at least one of the "hotspots" is a place of business, I've did a (Yahoo) search to find hotspots (like at Starbucks), there are from 2 to 6 places (depending on different websites) in my town, one of them isn't far from my house. Anyway I have cable internet & thats what I use, I thought maybe if there was a way to find out where the signal is coming from I should let them know. Now to get back on track;

I would like to inform the person (or business) it belongs to let them know that my laptop picked up the signal. How would I do this? Would I have to "buy" a program? Or would I be able to download a (free) program?

Reply to
Tammy Fontenot

"John and Pat" hath wroth:

Berkeley Varionics Yellowjacket has a "Geiger Mode" that can be used for direction finding an access point. Basically a fancy signal strength meter. Only about $1500 plus about $60 for a directional antenna. See:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I agree with John O - your intentions are admirable but you could actually find that you end up breaking the law unintentionally by 'looking' for these networks. It's a sad state of affairs but your probably best to leave well alone.

Reply to
Jonni

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.