wireless internet 1 third the speed of wired

Weren't there some routers that dropped everybody to B if there was any B connected? Maybe forcing the router to G-only would be interesting. A device might quit working that is only connecting at B for some reason.

Reply to
dold
Loading thread data ...

No, but the effect was similar. To deal with compatibility, they would run at "g" speeds, and listen for a fairly small amount of time (about 10%) for any "b" devices. However, if they heard even a non-connected "b" device, the router would increase the time it listened for "b" devices to about 50%, whether there was any traffic moving on "b" or not. If the "b" device associated, the sampling time was increased even more. All this was at the expense of "g" connection, which ended up with fairly slow throughput even though they were associated with the router at higher than 11Mbit/sec "g" speeds. Later versions of the chipsets were considerably more intelligent about the time slicing, but the mechanism is still roughly the same. I can dig out some patent numbers if you want to read all about it.

Yep. Good idea. I agree that something is stuck at "b" speeds. However, all the likely suspects have been eliminated. The DI-624+ hardware version unknown, firmware version unknown, supports "g" speeds. Methinks the asus wl-167g supports "g". The USB port is allegedly 2.0 on an unspecified make and model computer or laptop. Other than miserable hardware description, old firmware, broken driver, and misconfiguration, I can't think of what might be causing the problem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 04:03:52 -0500, "Peter Pan" wrote in :

It's only faster if there's not some other bottleneck, which is often (usually?) the case.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.