wireless in the USA

Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View
Hi
I am a total beginner when it comes to the world of wireless and neeed
help!

I am travelling to the US next year for about 3 months and would like
to take a laptop with me mainly for Internet Access and photos etc... I
know I need to have a laptop with wireless capability but do I need to
get a service provider? or is it easy enough to use the hotel access?
Do many hotels have free wireless internet? I am travelling both East
and West Coast as well as the South.
Thanks!
Lisa



Re: wireless in the USA
wrote:

>I am a total beginner when it comes to the world of wireless and neeed
>help!
>
>I am travelling to the US next year for about 3 months and would like
>to take a laptop with me mainly for Internet Access and photos etc... I
>know I need to have a laptop with wireless capability

Careful with the selection of wireless device.  The rules for wireless
are different in many countries.  Your foreign 802.11 device may not
work in the US.

>but do I need to
>get a service provider?

Maybe.  There are many free wireless hot spots that require nothing
more than a working laptop and wireless device.  Some require that you
purchase something in the coffee shop.  Others offer paid subscription
services through a variety of billing services such as Boingo,
T-Mobile, Wayport, iPass, STSN, etc.  It really depends upon where you
connect.

>or is it easy enough to use the hotel access?

Hotel access is usually not free.  They issue an account and charge
for the service.  Most hotel have unintelligible printed setup
instructions.

>Do many hotels have free wireless internet? I am travelling both East
>and West Coast as well as the South.

No.  Most hotels charge for the service.  You'll find the signal
through the doors to often be marginal and only work with the hallway
door open.  However, the better (i.e. more expensive) hotels also have
ethernet jacks that do the same thing as wireless.  Bring a long CAT5
cable and just plug in if the signal is marginal inside the hotel.
For example, Marriott Hotels:
  http://www.wirelessmarriott.com
I just looked up the Santa Clara CA Marriott Hotel.  It shows wireless
only in the public areas and meeting rooms.  The hotel rooms have
wired ethernet jacks.  Charges are per minutes connect time (yech).
Typical is 10 to 25 cents per minute or $10 per day.  What you should
do it browse the web sites of your planned hotels and see what
facilities they offer.
  http://www.forbes.com/lists/2004/04/29/cx_cv_0429feat.html




--
# Jeff Liebermann   150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
# 831.336.2558 voice    http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
#                           jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# 831.421.6491 digital_pager  jeffl@cruzio.com     AE6KS


Re: wireless in the USA
thanks for all your help, it has shed some light on the whole thing,
though I know no matter how prepared I am, I will not be satisfied
until I am on-line!



Re: wireless in the USA
I've been doing some looking into the protocols, does anyone know if
there are any wireless service providers that use the Wi-Fi 802.11g?
the laptop that I am looking at buying uses this?

I am getting the grim feeling that it's all mostly Wi-Fi 802.11b.
thanks
lisa



Re: wireless in the USA
wrote:

>I've been doing some looking into the protocols, does anyone know if
>there are any wireless service providers that use the Wi-Fi 802.11g?
>the laptop that I am looking at buying uses this?
>
>I am getting the grim feeling that it's all mostly Wi-Fi 802.11b.
>thanks
>lisa

It should be backwards compatible.


Site Timeline