Wireless hookup problem

I have a wireless network in my home. It works for three computers with no problem. My daughter is home from college and her laptop will not hookup. There is a limited connectivity message. When I hook it up hardwire, everything is fine.

Apparently, she was not able to hookup to wireless at school either.

Any ideas?

RS

Reply to
RS
Loading thread data ...

sounds like a poor wifi card. I assume its a preinstalled card under one of the lower covers.

either replace it for a quality card or if you have a PC card slot buy one to fit that.

Reply to
Me

do you have mac filtering turned on in your router?

Reply to
riggor

Check the tcp/ip settings for the adapter and make sure their isn't a preset address in anything there. Temporarily disable any addon antivirus /firewall applications and see if it works. Also look for current drivers for the card on the manufacturers website and install them.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Since it doesn't work at school, nor at home, doubtful that it's a security/mac thing, sounds more like it is disabled (or just turned off)..... have you tried turning it on?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Reading the original post - it seems that her laptop will not work at home. I don't see that it says it does not work at school, or not working anywhere else or at all.

Reply to
riggor

********************************************************************* Apparently, she was not able to hookup to wireless at school either. *********************************************************************

It was the last sentence of the original post! Really couldn't be more clear about it not working.

Reply to
David

I agree with Peter Pan, if it doesn't work in an open hot spot it probably isn't turned on. Look for a switch on the lap top to turn it on and off, it usually has a green light that is associated with it.

Reply to
curly Bill

mea culpa - complete brain fart - I missed that completely !!

Reply to
riggor

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 22:17:09 -0600, "RS" wrote in :

Limited connectivity means it was able to connect, but not get a DHCP address. The usual cause is weak signal or radio interference. Put her computer 6 feet from the wireless router and see if that makes any difference. See how many bars of signal you are getting.

Reply to
John Navas

Read the next sentence... it says "Apparently, she was not able to hookup to wireless at school

notice the words "not able to hookup to wireless at school"... :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

On one of my laptops, no switch, no light, was some funny key combo like a function-f2, i found in the manual... What the heck, may not be it, but it's a free and quick check...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.