Wireless for 2 pc's not needing internet

I have 2 pc's that I want to setup to talk with one another and don't need internet service. Have a USB dongle for one and a card for the other. What kind of router do I need since I don't need internet connection?

Thanks

Reply to
JE
Loading thread data ...

Nothing, just set them up in peer to peer (adhoc) mode.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

"adhoc" is a wireless mode in which two computers communicate directly with each other; i.e., without involving a router.

Reply to
Roby

The 2 are not located near one another and can't get cable between them very economically. Wouldn't I need wireless?

Reply to
JE

Okay, I am not familiar with "adhoc". Just using 2 wireless nics??

Reply to
JE

correct.

formatting link
Please don't top post.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Thompson

Thanks. Very informative.

Reply to
JE

a) you didn't mention where they were in relation to each other.

b) ad-hoc mode *is* wireless! :)

If they're too far from each other to work in peer to peer mode then just buy an access point and place that in the middle and configure the machines to associate with the access point.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

One is on the first floor of the home and the other is in the basement. Probably 45 or 60ft apart.

Reply to
JE

"adhoc" is a wireless mode in which two computers communicate directly with each other; i.e., without involving a router.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Please don't top post.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Please don't top post.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.