Wireless File Sharing

Sincerely hope you can assit with my problem. All was well until I had to re-install Windows XP Professional on my desktop. Now I cannot share files and printers even though I have connection to the internet from both computers. The setup is as follows:

O/S - Windows XP Professional SP2 on both computers Router - Linksys WRG54G, Firmware Linksys V4.21.1 Desktop is wired to the router, Laptop is wireless Internet - Connection OK from both computers Ping - Can ping the router's gateway from both computers and can ping the Desktop from Laptop but cannot ping Laptop from Desktop. Tried to ping with the laptop wired to the router but with same result Firewalls - (Norton Internet Security) disconnected on both computers

This group has helped me once before when trying to install the Linksyst router with some valauble hints and all worked fine untill I had the misfortune recently of having to totally re-install the O/S, applications and backup files. The laptop settings should be OK as I have not changed anything there. The desktop O/S reinstall was from the original XP CD setup disk (5 years old) which I then had updated via MS Windows Update

Kindest regards Mark

Reply to
Mark Zak
Loading thread data ...

Did you do a hard reset on the router with powering the router down?

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Perhaps the Windows XP firewall is still enabled.

Reply to
Gordon

Yes, I did but did not resove the issue.

Kind regards Mark

Reply to
Mark Zak

• Uninstall the Norton Internet Security on all computers and call me in the morning.
Reply to
Alan Spicer

When you reinstall windows, file and printer sharing are automatically turned OFF by default..... You MUST turn it on again.. That's probably why your file and print sharing no longer work.. :)

Easy to do, however I use file explorer, so can't give you step by step stuff on how to do it

Reply to
Peter Pan

• I still think he's going to find it blocked by Norton Internet Security. To enable sharing you just have to share something. Before sharing at least on folder (or a printer) on XP you will not be able to access that computer in Network Neighborhood from another one. Simple File Sharing is on by default. It should also already be on in the Windows Firewall. But you can check the firewall, firewall.cpl, Exceptions tab just to be sure.
Reply to
Alan Spicer

Far as I know, it is NOT on by default, see

formatting link
for how to enable it.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Thank you Peter Pan for your input. I am currently away from home/my desktop for a few days and will look into it on my returne home. Kind regards Mark

Reply to
Mark Zak

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.