Wireless extension "cable"

Hi,

I would like to have a wireless extension for my USB wireless adapter. Then I could "go through" a wall without damaging this. Se my drawing here:

formatting link

If someone have heard about such a product please answer i this group.

Lasse

Reply to
Lasse
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:05:05 +0200, "Lasse" wrote in :

DNS lookup fails on

formatting link

Reply to
John Navas

Don't like using USB for anything networking, but after looking at your diagram the first thing that popped in my head was perhaps two of those "Homeplug USB" adaptors. The PC USB's port would be connected to one adapter, it would run through the electrical wiring, and then come out through the other adapter in the other room to be connected to the wireless USB adapter. Never used any of the Homeplug stuff, but it would work. Hard to say if the cost of two of them would be worth it though, especially since the bandwidth of the Homeplug adapters aren't all that great. They are fine for just internet traffic, but not so great for LAN stuff. (15Mbs, I think?)

Bluetooth might be do-able also. Regular USB Bluetooth dongle on the PC and a standalone Bluetooth-USB box in the other room. I've seen standalone Bluetooth-USB boxes before, but can't think of the vendor offhand. Bluetooth "may" give some interference with the USB wireless adapter (I'm assuming its 802.11g/b.)

Is it because of better reception that you want the USB wireless (802.11g/b) adapter in the other room? If so, maybe using something different than a USB wireless (802.11g/b) adapter, along with a good antenna, would be more practical?

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.