wireless ethernet bridge

Hi,

I need to connect a xbox (original) to a wireless network, the official xbox 1 wireless adapter is quite hard to come by so I am thinking about an ethernet wireless bridge.

Does anyone have any experience with these ?, reccomendations would be helpful to0.

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Eps
Loading thread data ...

Are you trying to use your own connection, or are you trying to use someone elses wireless free?

if on the off chance you are trying to connect to your own, there are many other types of bridges other than "wireless", here's a couple from netgear (other companies make/sell em, just happen to have those links handy)

powerline

formatting link
coax
formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan

formatting link

I have a wireless connection (yes it is mine).

I have an original xbox that I want to use as a media center, original xbox's do not have wireless adapters, you can buy them but they are quite hard to come by now.

I want to connect my xbox to my wireless connection (the one that my other computers are connected to) but the xbox only has an ethernet connection (no I can't plug my xbox into the router, its impractical).

Hence I need a wireless ethernet bridge, I don't see how your suggestions would help me at all.

Reply to
Eps

formatting link
>

if you have your own network, you probably just want to bridge it to the xbox location (wired instead of wireless, ie router to xbox, ethernet plug on the router to the ethernet plug on the xbox).. don't know why you think you need a WIRELESS bridge since you aren't trying to bridge access from somone elses wireless network (thats why I asked if it was YOUR wireless network or somone elses, easy to jack into the router on your own network and do a wired bridge, whole nother can of worms to do wireless bridging)... I use the powerline stuff above (essentially a WIRED ethernet bridge, using the powerline instead of running a network cable, one unit at the wap/router plugged into the router and ac, and the other plugged into an ac socket in my LR)

below is a link for the model i would suggest..

formatting link
Features

• Turns any electrical power outlet into an Ethernet network connection * Delivers fast 85 Mbps speed? * For use with both wired and wireless routers and gateways * Simply plug one XET1001 into your router and another XET1001 into any Ethernet-ready device1 * Connect a desktop, notebook PC, gaming console, NETGEAR Storage Central (SC101), SlingboxT, a DVR or NETGEAR Print Server (PS121) * Data encryption ensures privacy and security * Supports Windows® VistaT * HomePlug compatible

note the line above,

• Connect a desktop, notebook PC, gaming console, NETGEAR Storage Central (SC101), SlingboxT, a DVR or NETGEAR Print Server

isn't an xbox sometimes called a gaming console?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Let's see what links I have for a wireless ethernet bridge:

Some cheap APs that also have bridge mode:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Commercial grade exterior wireless bridge can also be used inside:

formatting link

Another nice solution is to get a Linksys WRT54GL and put DD-WRT or Tomato replacement firmware on it and then use it in Client Bridge mode.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

Are you serious ?, I can't plug the xbox into the router, well actually I could but then I would have a cable running through the house. Since I have a wireless network, I want to connect it wirelessly, its not that odd really.

I have heard powerline stuff can be unreliable, the house is a bit old and the power seems a little shaky without trying to use it to send and receive data.

I think I will keep looking for a wireless ethernet bridge.

Reply to
Eps

They're usually refered to as 'gaming adapters'. They've got a wired ethernet port on one end and then a wifi radio. You usually configure them using a wired PC first. Then attach it to the game console via wired ethernet. They act as a transparent bridge to whatever ethernet device is plugged into the wired point. The wired cable can be longer than just a few feet (up to the 300' ethernet max) as that might help gain better wifi connection strength.

Some folks claim to have success with the powerline devices. I've seen too many of them die to put up with them ever again.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

From what you describe, you may actually want a wireless gaming adapter, rather than a bridge.... lots available, like this one.. (many others, this link just specifically mentioned xbox)

formatting link
and Play

Connects to your Ethernet-enabled Xbox, PlayStation, GameCube or other Ethernet-enabled gaming consoles - no drivers required.

be aware, that you usually need a pc to configure it... Minimum Requirements

• Network-Ready Game Console * PC with CD-ROM Drive (For Setup Only) * Wireless Access Point or Router (Draft 802.11n, 802.11a, 802.11g or
802.11b Compliant) or Additional Dual-Band Wireless-G Gaming * Adapter for LAN Party Gaming * Internet Service Required for Online Gaming)
Reply to
Peter Pan

simple answer - I'm using an old Linksys WET11 (802.11b model) in our family room. or the WET54G for the 802.11g model It has a single Ethernet jack, which I have connected next to a small 5-port hub/switch and cabled to our Tivo (series 2) and xbox 360... I also use the connection when I have someone's PC they want looked at... just spread everything on the floor in the family room and run a cable to the hub.

The WAP and router are upstairs in an extra bedroom where the rest of the computers reside.

Reply to
ps56k

Or an old Linksys WRT54G router (which has 4 ports) flashed with DD-WRT and configured to "Client Bridge" mode, which is what I use to connect a TiVo and a Slingbox to my main wireless router on the other side of the house.

Reply to
Ulysses

Any ethernet2wireless bridge which is able to function as a client would do just fine. If you're scared you will end up with crap, get a known brand.

Reply to
Chrisjoy

Just want something cheap to be honest, they all seem very expensive.

Reply to
Eps

Unfortunately, you are running into the failure to communicate.... Like

1k=1000 cept in puters where it is 1024, a gamer calls what you want a wireless ethernet bridge, and computer people call them game adapters... unfortunately, they don't work the same, don't talk/communicate with each other the way you would expect, and if you get computer termed wireless ethernet bridge for your game, it will NOT be the same/work the same as a wireless ethernet bridge for computers.... Seems to me that even if you get the cheapest wrong thing first and then get the cheapest right thing, it will be more than just getting the cheapest right thing in the first place....
Reply to
Peter Pan

What ?, most of the wireless ether bridges claim to work with consoles like the ps2 and xbox, just as the wireless gaming adapters do.

The point is the xbox has an ethernet port, I want to connect this to my wireless connection. As people have pointed out if I want to do this and if money is no object I should get a fully fledged router and then put open source firmware on it. But I am looking to do this cheaply.

I think ebay is the way to go at this point.

Reply to
Eps

Since you didn't seem to notice, I'll repeat myself. Check my links above. The Airlink that Fry's sells is very cheap. So are the Edimax and others.

For pro-sumer gear quality, then spend $50 for the Ubiquiti LoCo2.

And yes, you can pick up a Linksys WRT54G of various stripes and put Tomato or DD-WRT on it.

There. I've completely repeated my post.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

Fry's will be cheaper if you watch for the Airlink 431 on sale.

But here:

formatting link
is another one - once flashed to DD-WRT you can do anything with it.

Reply to
seaweedsl

That's why it's important to mention what it is you're linking to. In this case, the Ebay link is a dead end, for me anyway, so I don't know if you're pointing to another Airlink 431, a WRT54G, or something else.

Reply to
Iyad Patel

Sorry I am in the UK, I am more interested in hearing about the product than the deal unless its available in the UK too.

Thanks anyway though.

Reply to
Eps

"Peter Pan"

HUH ????

I guess my Linksys WET11 "ethernet bridge" is not working downstairs connected to my xbox & tivo ? They have to work the same - the are the same technology - "Maybe" an issue might be with the physical Ethernet connections - straight thru vs crossover cables -

If not - please explain how any specialized "adapter" is different from a "wireless Ethernet bridge" ?

Reply to
ps56k

"Eps"

for some reason - some folks like to suggest the most complex and involved solution... It's like asking what car to get... and some folks basically tell you to build your own...

Why would anyone looking for a simple wireless Ethernet bridge get anything besides exactly what you are looking for ....

PLUS - what's your Internet connection speed - 1M, 3M, 6M and how fast is the bridge - actually speed ?

802.11b = maybe 11M and the 802.11g = 22M SO - does having a 54G do you any good on a 6M internet connection ?

I'm constantly amazed at how folks answer questions with basically "how smart they are", which is interesting to read if you know the basics and understand the topic, but then again they don't really answer the question, nor provide a reality based solution....

Reply to
ps56k

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.