Wireless equipments choosing help needed

Hi, My name is Saeesh Pai Vaidya & I work in D-Link india Ltd as senior engineer R&D department.We are in process of developing an Wireless router so i wanted to buy the wireless testing tools for the same. I wanted to know wether the IXIA IXWLAN Tool can alone be sufficient for the same ,I want to note the RF parameters readings like the *TX & RX signal readings (in dB)* also in addition i want to *sniff the wirelesspackets & check them for various parametrers can IXIA IXWLAN tester alone be sufficient to achieve this ????* One more probable solution i found was using *Agilent N4010 Wireless testing suit plue 2.4Ghz WLAN testing module for testing RF section

*also using *Aeronet wireless sniffer (AiroPeek SE) to sniff wireless packets ..*

can anybody advise me which will be the best cost effective solution which will help me to test my Wireless router for all these parameters. if has any better suggestion or advise Please mail me at :

• snipped-for-privacy@dlink.co.in*

Thanks in Advance Saeesh Pai Vaidya

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
saeesh007
Loading thread data ...

Probably not. It's mostly a benchmarking program. If you're only interested in testing and optimizing for performance, then the various IXIA products are fine.

If you're trying to get the timing right, or diagnose MAC layer problems, these won't work.

No way. Sniffing is always done independently because at the higher speeds, the capture buffer will swamp any attempt to do anything else at the same time. There's really no need to do sniffing unless you're doing compliance testing or protocol optimization. What "various parameters" are you looking for? If it's data corruption, timing, or collisions, most PC based software won't work because the corrupted garbage will never get past the PAD (packet assembler/disassembler). Reminder: ethernet switches and bridges do NOT pass corrupted packets and collisions.

RF parameters are best measured with RF test equipment, such as the Agilent N4010.

This can later be moved to production test or possibly QA.

You might want to look at:

Be sure to tell Veriwave that their capacity calculator spreadsheet downloads a corrupted file.

Also, you can do quite a bit using a traffic and stream simulator such as IPerf:

There's a big problem using sniffers and protocol analyzers. Neither will show packet corruption or collisions at the MAC layer. They all tend to work at the IP layer. To get raw packet statistics, the data collection has to built into the wireless chips on the product, and delivered to the JTAG port from the usually pre-compiled RF chip drivers supplied by the chip vendor. If you dive into the SNMP stack on your new product (if it has one), and you don't see MAC layer packet statistics, you're going to have a big problem doing RF traffic optimization and troubleshooting. If you have a decent client that displays these statistics, you have perhaps half a chance of getting it right.

No, I can't advise. I have no idea what you trying to accomplish. Is it development engineering, protocol optimization, compliance testing, regulatory certification, production test, QA, etc? Much of what you suggest will work for some of this, but no single solution is "best" or "cost effective" for all of these functions. It's also impossible to provide a "cost effectve" solution if I don't know your budget limitations.

If you can post messages to a usenet newsgroup, you can also read your replies in the same newsgroup. If you want private email, I'll gladly send you may consulting rate card.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.