Wireless dropping - use spare router to strengthen connection?

I have a wireless connection set up in the house but it drops intermittently. I've tried the usual stuff - unplugging the microwave, changing the channel etc but to no avail. I have a spare wireless router hanging around, is it possible for me to set this router up to just boost the wireless signal, so I can position it halfway through the house? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Ashley
Loading thread data ...

My main one is a Linksys HR200, and my spare is an Origo FC-AL2014PW which I believe is just a generic rebranded router (Same as Zoom, Eusso etc). Sorry - not much use.

I'm not averse to buying another piece of hardware if my spare router can't do this, just want to make sure things will work before I do so.

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Ashley

Let people here help you by suppling Model name and/or number, and the firmware version of your router. I.E.: Linksys BEFW11S4, v3. No offense, just trying to help.

-- Louie Gainesville, FL (eat the flies to email)

"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Reply to
Louie

Well, the proceedure is the same for adding an "access point". Effectively, you disable the DHCP server and ignore the router section.

Your spare router can be converted into an access point by:

1. Setup the IP address of the spare router to be in the same class c IP block as the main router, but to not duplicate its IP address. For example, if the main router is 192.168.1.1, setup the spare router as
  1. Disable the DHCP server. IP addresses will be served by the DHCP server in the main router.
  2. Do not connect anything to the WAN (internet) port. It's not used.
  3. Connect an ethernet cable between one of the LAN ports on the main router, to one of the LAN ports on the spare router.

If running the cable half way through the house is unacceptable, there are alternatives, but they cost money. For example, a power line networking wireless bridge might be useful:

formatting link
I'm not familiar with either of your boxes. However, if one or both of them support WDS, the same thing can be done using the spare router acting as a repeater, using wireless to connect back to the main router. No cable half way through the house required.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I've tried to find a Linksys HR200 user manual at Linksys, but no go. Do you still have your manual? Maybe Jeff L. would know, he's pretty much on top of things.

Is this your Origo FC-AL2014PW router

formatting link
from Tanstaafl states "This link says your router is the same as the SR-8400"
formatting link
has a pic. Had no luck with manual as well. Sorry I couldn't help more.

-- Louie Gainesville, FL (eat the flies to email)

"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Reply to
Louie

Thanks for the help, guys. This is actually a whole lot more complicated than I imagined it would be. Running cable anywhere in the house is something I want to avoid.

The Netgear wall-plugged product looks interesting. I've never seen it in any stores round here or indeed online so I'm unsure as to whether it's available in the UK.

Could somebody clarify the term 'repeater' for me? I see a lot of devices offering this function. Could this do what I need?

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Ashley

I should add, I have seen sites showing a hack which can be applied to my Origo router that will somehow give it D-Link firmware and give it this 'repeater' functionality. Is this an option?

Reply to
Chris Ashley

I can't help with your Origo router as I know nothing about it.

The proceedure for converting your router to an access point is quite simple and easy to do. 4 steps is not a major project (except for running the cable).

A repeater is also called a "range extender". It's a stand alone radio, that listens for any packets that have a specified SSID, and retransmit the packet. This is called "store and forward" type of repeating. It is commonly used to extend the coverage area of a wireless system.

However, there are problems. Many repeaters will only work with a small list of acceptable radios and access points. In general, the chipset used in the repeater has to be compatible (or identical) to that in the wireless router.

Repeaters also cause a 50% reduction in thruput because only one radio can transmit at a time (simplex operation). This should not be a problem if you have a good signal and a comparatively slow broadband connection (

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

If all your wireless clients on one side of the access point, consider a cheap do-it-yourself directional antenna, which can work wonders; e.g., .

Reply to
John Navas

The Netgear product isn't available in the UK but I've just had an email from Maplin with a special offer on a UK equivalent

formatting link
Chris R

Reply to
ChrisR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.