Wireless dropouts

Which router was in the "kit"? There are problems with certain models, have you gone to the linksys website

formatting link
and updated the firmware if needed? I was having similar probs on my linksys wrt54g, went to the website, updated the firmware, and it has worked fine ever since.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Newbie here so bear with me...bought a linksys wireless network kit which consisted of a router and laptop wireless card. Installed everything at another location and everything worked great. Brought the router home and now constantly lose connection and am only 10 feet away from the router. I've tried channels 1, 6 and 11 as suggested by Linksys but still no go. I'll boot up the laptop, connects fine...then a minute later it just disconnects. We do have a ADT wireless alarm in the house...could this be interfering? Any ideas as to what else I can try (or buy a different product) to get this thing working consistantly?

Reply to
The other Mike

It does sound like interference in your area. I doubt it is your wireless alarm system as most alarm panels do not operate above the 900MHz freq. Try downloading netstumbler

formatting link
and post what your Signal/Noise Ratio (SNR) is. I originally had the same problem you are stating and ended up having to relocate my AP. works fine now. just a thot, hope this helps.

Reply to
Another Anonymous

Why not turn off the alarm and see if that helps?

Other possibilities include cordless phones, tv senders.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

When it disconnects does it reconnect automatically in a few seconds then disconnect again? Or do you manually have to connect?

Reply to
DLink Guru

Like Chris said, these things play a big part too. I have two 2.4 gig cordless phones, I can be on both of them at the same time and it causes noise in my wireless network but does not hugely effect it, however, my 2.4 gig X-10 TV sender knocks it out completely no matter where I place my AP nor which channel the sender/AP is on and our microwave oven causes random disconnects like you mentioned when its in operation. perhaps one of your neighbors utilizes one or more of these devices that could be causing your problem.

Reply to
Lady

You could try a much better program (free for 30 days to evaluate) Winc by cirond corp

formatting link
much better program, and works with windows, and whatever is actually INSTALLED, rather than only certain devices (like netstumbler).

The other Mike wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

It varies...sometimes it reconnects on it's own, sometimes I have to manually reconnect and then other times I have to reboot the laptop to even 'see' the router.

Reply to
The other Mike

Reply to
The other Mike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.