wireless download speed MUCH worse than wired

I just tested my wired desktop's download speed and got ~9.5MPS. I then tested my laptop with a wireless connection and got 644KPS. How is this possible? FYI, I'm using the Linksys WRK54G router.

Thanks in advance, David

Reply to
davids58
Loading thread data ...

Well, I determined that the placement of my modem has a huge effect on the bandwith. However, I'm still only getting half the throughput that I am on my wired systems. 802.11g should certainly provide enough headroom that I to match the bandwith I'm getting on the wired systems, right?

David

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
davids58

What bit rate does it say it's connecting at? Mouseover the icon on the task bar and my 802.11g setup says "Speed: 54Mbps" and "Signal strength: Excellent"

If you have encryption enabled (eg WEP or whatever) perhaps it's limited by the performance of the micro in the router? Try it with encryption turned off for a short time.

Reply to
CWatters

For an apples to apples comparison, use the same machine; i.e., compare wired on the *laptop* to wireless on the laptop. Also, make sure that interference isn't clobbering your wireless throughput.

On 8 Jun 2006 10:39:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.