wireless disconnect: linksys + microsoft windows

Hi.

I am using a wireless linksys router, and it does an excellent job. My problem is with my HP Laptop's wireless interface, which uses windows to connect.

I can connect to the internet, but every 3 to 5 minutes my connection is lost. I can re-connect instantly, but it is a real pain to do so.

Can anyone help me?

Reply to
TheFusionWarrior
Loading thread data ...

wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Maybe. Disable the Windows Zero auto configuration and use the connection software of the wireless interface.

Hope it does the job...

EDJO

Reply to
EDJO

innews: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Unfortunately, it did not come with that kind of software.

Are there any generics online that I can use? Or any other options?

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
TheFusionWarrior

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Not high enough.

Does this router have a model number? Extra credit for reading the serial number tag and extracting the hardware version. A gold star if you can supply the firmware version.

Make, model, wireless device?

Does it disconnect while you're working or is it after 3-5 mins of inactivity?

Is there some pattern to these disconnects? How often?

Duz it also happen when you plug into your router with a CAT5 ethernet cable?

Duz it happen only with your home wireless router or does it also happen with other wireless hotspots?

Is your laptop the only one with the problem? Try dragging a friend with a known working laptop over and try it.

Lots of possibilities. Looks like you're on Mindspring cable modem. The router should be set for DHCP but with no timeout set. It might be disconnecting you from the ISP. When you disclose the router model number, I can show you where the settings are located.

Your HP wireless something might also be going into power save mode. Find the wireless advanced properties for the device and disarm the power save feature for now.

You might also be getting some intereference from other Wi-Fi systems.

There are also some rather exotic problems dealing with WPA re-keying.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

An understatement, to say the least.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.