Wireless devices not being able to reconnect after turning off SSID broadcast

I have a laptop and an iPod Touch both of which connect to my wireless router, Linksys WRT54G, without any issues when the SSID broadcast is enabled. I'm using WPA Personal security mode.

But from what I read, for a more secure wireless network, it's better to turn the SSID broadcast off so that your network is not visible to others in the area looking for a wireless network.

But when I disable the SSID broadcast and turn on my laptop or the iPod Touch, both devices can't connect with my wireless network.

Is this supposed to be this way, or should my laptop and the iPod Touch be able to connect to my wireless network even if the SSID broadcast is disabled because they had already been connected to it previously?

So, again, when the SSID broadcast is enabled and I turn on my laptop and my iPod Touch, both connect automatically without any issues. But when the broadcast is disabled and I turn on the devices, both cannot connect to my wireless network.

Reply to
grandmarnier
Loading thread data ...

After a bit of searching, it seems as though since I'm using WPA Personal security mode, I needn't be too concerned with disabling the SSID broadcast as it ends up being a hassle for the AP user.

But if any of your have other thoughts, opinions or suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Reply to
grandmarnier

I fully concur, and I suspect others may chime in the same way. Disabling SSID broadcast does little or nothing to enhance security, but as you found out, it can be a hassle to authorized users. Having said that, I don't think it should be as bad as what you're experiencing, but the bottom line is just enable it and keep your WPA password long enough (20+ characters, I believe) to thwart dictionary attacks.

Reply to
Char Jackson

OK, will do. Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I have my WPA password to the max 62 chars long.

Reply to
grandmarnier

Secure from what? Anyone with a clue can detect your wireless network and determine the SSID.

Yell at Apple. Most wireless clients will work without an SSID broadcast from the AP.

Hint: Disabling SSID broadcast is a great way of having your neighbors land on the same channel that you're using and creating unwarranted interference. It also offers almost no real security benefits. Your only real security measure is WPA or WPA2 encryption. Everything else is nearly useless and only creates problems.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The laptop "remembers" the SSID it had connected to in the past. If you are no longer transmitting the SSID, the laptop has no idea who the access point is now.

So yes, its supposed to be that way.

Reply to
DTC

I see, I see. Thanks.

Reply to
grandmarnier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.