Wireless deterioration

Hi All,

I have a Netgear DG834G v1 ADSL wireless router which has been working fine since I first bought it 2 years ago. However, recently I've notice that the wireless speed does not go above 11Mbps whereas before it wouldn't drop below 36Mbps. The router is located in the downstairs hallway but the signal varies between very low to low on a desktop PC (4m away in lounge) and low to good on my laptop (2m away in dining room). I've tried changing channels but there's no change on any of the 13 ones available. I've also upgraded the router to the latest firmware but no difference.

Having searched on Google for answers I've discovered that I'm not alone in experiencing this issue. In fact, I'm quite fortunate in getting 2 years service out of it rather than a few weeks to 12 months for some poor souls! I'm slowly resigning to the fact that the wireless component is slowly dying and may have to look at buying a replacement.

My question is whether it's feasible for the internal wireless module to be replaced/upgraded as I don't really want to trash it since everything else works fine. If not, my other option is to buy an access point for the wireless function. Any recommendations which won't cost the earth (i.e. less than £100)?

Thanks

Mehbs

Reply to
Mehbs
Loading thread data ...

This is almost similar to my D-Link wifi router problem. I get about 2 years of good functionality, and the last few months, the signal strength goes form Excellent to non-existent (no green bar) every few seconds. Replacing the router with a new one (another brand) solved the problem. I wonder if any wifi hardware experts in this group can explain what is causing this failure? Note that the wifi clients and setups have not changed significantly to cause the transient connectivity.

Reply to
Cmdr Data

You might try changing from whatever channel the router is currently on to see if it might be interference from an outside (or possibly inside) source. Keep in mind that you are sharing the radio spectrum with a lot of other devices, so that might be the first thing to try.

Reply to
bretk

Although the router is placed in a well ventilated area (i.e. hallway) and left switched on all the time, I can only assume the heat generated from within the case has somehow cause the wireless components to deteriorate over time?

Reply to
Mehbs

I did (as mentioned in my original post) and no change for any of the 13 channels available.

Reply to
Mehbs

All clients are 11g devices. I've tried running in both mixed mode and 11g only but no difference. I borrowed my brother-in-laws wireless router (which is identical to mine) and configured it with my backed up settings. All my

11g devices reported speeds of 36Mbps and higher so I know the access point in my router is definitely on it's way out.

Thanks for the thought anyway.

Reply to
Mehbs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.