wireless detector

Hi, I'm looking for a good wireless detector with perhaps a rechargeable battery. All the ones I've seen only tell you whether one's around. It doesn't say anything about whether they're open or not or how many there are and strength.

Reply to
nkomli
Loading thread data ...

I bought a Trendnet TEW-429UB 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter with HotSpot Detector from an eBay seller, and I'm very happy with it except that it doesn't seem to detect access points that do not broadcast their SSID.

formatting link
and

formatting link
Peter

Reply to
Pete

Which is a problem because...?

Access points set up not to broadcast their SSIDs are set up that way for a reason-one that manufacturers of the current generation of Wi-Fi detectors have, for the most part, graciously seen fit to respect.

Getting back to the original poster's question, I wouldn't bother with anything these days that doesn't provide a LCD readout of what it finds. After all, the idea is to keep you from having to pull out your laptop and boot up. I'm using a ZyXEL AG-225H USB access point/adapter/detector that I'm quite satisified with. The latest version of it has a backlit display and can detect pre-N networks.

Reply to
Jonathan L. Parker

I have a Canary and it is awesome.

Reply to
®©®

You mean Motorola Canopy?

[snicker mode off]
Reply to
DTC

No, It's made by Canary Wireless. Best detector i have ever used.

Reply to
®©®

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Well, if you want the ultimate hot spot detector, there's the Berkeley Varitronics Yellowjacket:

I think the list price is about $3,500.

Personally, I use WiFiFoFum on my Verizon XV6700 Windoze Mobile 2005 cell phone:

I can sniff for connectivity, and I can usually connect with the built in IE5 browswer.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

of the $199 Wi-Spy

formatting link
Goggle for "Wi-Spy" for lots of reviews

Reply to
DTC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.