Wireless - Destination Host Unreachable

Can anyone give a couple of tips on how to deal with the above error message when pinging a wireless router? Set up a bunch of these in the past but this is causing bother for some reason.

Have set the router up with a length of CAT5, configured DHCP on it and set up a WPA key. Removed the CAT5 , rebooted and attempted to connect wirelessly.

Windows finds the access point, prompts for my password then tries to connect. It thinks for a while, then pops up 'Connected' and I get an IP address from the router (192.168.1.3). Subnet, gateway and DNS addresses are also fine if I do an "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt.

Then, I do a "ping 192.168.1.1" (just to test connectivity to the router) and I get the "Destination Host Unreachable".

Only thing I could think of was MAC address filtering but that's turned off. (Not sure if I'd get an IP from the route with that on anyway, I'd have to test it).

This is driving me batty! Anyone help?

Reply to
Alec Storey
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:36:27 +0100, "Alec Storey" wrote in :

Probably no routable gateway address, or any gateway address at all.

Post the actual output please.

How does it compare to the IP address and subnet mask?

That's not it.

Reply to
John Navas

Isn't a gateway address only required if you want off the subnet?

The relevant portion is:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

My IP is .1.3, the routers is .1.1, mask is /24.

I'm stumped, any ideas?

I really don't get how I get an IP via DHCP, but then I can't ping the router or connect to it in any other way. I can't connect with HTTP to it's config page, I have to put the cable back in for that. Don't know why Windows thinks it's connected (which I suppose it must be to get an IP), then I just get this Destination Host Unreachable :-(

Reply to
Alec Storey

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 00:24:48 +0100, "Alec Storey" wrote in :

Yep. So your PC thinks you're trying to get off your subnet, which means that some setting is screwed up.

Is the network adapter connected?

Windows is brain-damaged -- pay no attention to "connected" status. Is all encryption turned off?

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
Fixer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.