wireless connectivity to a Cannon Multiunction printer

I recently bought a wireless Linksys Printserver in the hopes of being able to print wirelessly to my Canon Multifunction printer. Much to my dismay, Linksys informed me that this is not possible. Can someone suggest a solution?

Reply to
dstorf
Loading thread data ...

"dstorf" hath wroth:

Is this a game where we're expected to guess the model numbers? My crystal ball is currently busy calculating my income tax liability.

In general, most multi-malfunction printer/fax/copier/modem/scanner conglomerations require either a supported print server, or drivers that will work over an ethernet connection. Methinks you will do best to dig through the Canon web site and find a compatible print server. Be sure to read the fine print as many print servers will only work for printing, and not for the other features and functions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Buy a new printer.

Seriously. Few MFDs support printservers of any sort, let alone wireless. One should /never/ buy a printserver without first verifying that one's printer will work with it. The problem is the drivers - MFDs in particular have fancy drivers that require complex bidirectional comms, and it seems that printservers are typically just too stupid for this.

Its vaguely possible Canon sell a special printserver for their printers, but you can bet it will cost an arm and a leg.

ps Make sure your new printer is supported by Linksys. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

It may be cheaper/better to buy a new print server.

True, but some can be made to work (for printing only) even when not officially supported. For example, I just got an HP OfficeJet 2200 to work connected with USB to an Apple Airport Express over Wi-Fi from Windows XP by means of Bonjour for Windows . (It's a good idea to turn off printer spooling so documents don't get stuck in the printer queue.)

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.